U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

24,944 posts, read 39,269,794 times

Advertisements

I live in Central Florida near Orlando and after having my whole landscape redone and the sod replaced have had an invasion of Sedge (or Nut Sedge) Grass in my planter beds, next to the driveway, next to the border around the planter beds...you name it. None of my neighbors seem to have this affliction. Round Up doesn't work on it apparently and other than weeding for the rest of my life wonder how the heck to get rid of it. Any ideas? Please..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM

No one else has ever seen Sedge?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM

25,621 posts, read 35,028,236 times
Ah wonderful sedge. I have many clients in my area of California that are also affected by yellow nut sedge. Roundup does work but your application might not be adequate or regular enough to have an effect. Understand that when weeding you need to remove the sedge and it's "nut ball" for a more lasting effect after manual weeding. You might need a professional strength product like Roundup QuickPro which has better surfactants and actually scorches the plant within 24 hours. High humidity could be causing the roundup to have a weaker affect.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 06-15-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Ah wonderful sedge. I have many clients in my area of California that are also affected by yellow nut sedge. Roundup does work but your application might not be adequate or regular enough to have an effect. Understand that when weeding you need to remove the sedge and it's "nut ball" for a more lasting effect after manual weeding. You might need a professional strength product like Roundup QuickPro which has better surfactants and actually scorches the plant within 24 hours. High humidity could be causing the roundup to have a weaker affect.
Thanks! I just also heard of a product called Image that is specifically formulated for Sedge supposedly. I'll try that and the QuickPro on separate areas to see what works best.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks! I just also heard of a product called Image that is specifically formulated for Sedge supposedly. I'll try that and the QuickPro on separate areas to see what works best.
Ok, so not much success with either chemical. Would digging up the beds and laying plastic weed barrier be a good solution? Though I worry about the plastic hindering water absorption to the bushes and trees in the various beds....is that an issue?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM

32,524 posts, read 35,519,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No one else has ever seen Sedge?
Sorry. As a Boomer I saw WEED in your title and my mind drifted.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry. As a Boomer I saw WEED in your title and my mind drifted.

LOL, you crazy!

Anyway,

I would not use plastic but an actual landscape fabric that allows air and water to pass through but not weeds.

Interesting you not having luck with Quick Pro.

I have killed several different kinds of sedge with that product.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
LOL, you crazy!

Anyway,

I would not use plastic but an actual landscape fabric that allows air and water to pass through but not weeds.

Interesting you not having luck with Quick Pro.

I have killed several different kinds of sedge with that product.
I'll try that, it has to be better than bombing with chemicals. Maybe I wasn't using enough. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,975,400 times
I think there were sedge grass seeds in the mulch I bought. Never had a problem before, added mulch, and now they're popping up all over the place around some tender perennials I planted a month ago. Guess I'll just scald them with boiling water or brush them with vinegar...don't want to chance Roundup.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I think there were sedge grass seeds in the mulch I bought. Never had a problem before, added mulch, and now they're popping up all over the place around some tender perennials I planted a month ago. Guess I'll just scald them with boiling water or brush them with vinegar...don't want to chance Roundup.
Good luck with that.

Look up bane and there is a picture of sedge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden