Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I never thought I would say this, but I miss my garden. I am still traveling, been gone for a whole week. I have no idea what's going on there, so I am praying my garden will be OK when I return on Tuesday. I had some really good food CA, but not as good as my own veggies :-)
Nothing is as good as what we get from our gardens. This goes the same for ranch eggs compared to store bought. The fresher and the les chemicals, the better. I understand the commericial farmer, he/she has to make a living and do what is needed to assure a good crop, but by doing so, flavor and freshness is often lost.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,437 times
Green beans and tomatoes

Old 07-18-2011, 07:08 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
Green beans and tomatoes

Me too, Bob

Green Beans and Tomatoes, plus squash.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
Just got back from my trip and my garden is a jungle. My neighbor was kind enough to stop by and pick my tomatoes and zucchini for me. I have two huge zucchini, 2 cucumbers and a bowl full of cherry tomatoes. I have couple squash to pick tomorrow or later today when it cool down a bit. I was upset when I found my red cabbage was eaten by something, not sure what yet. it's some sort of a worm, ate the red cabbage and the collard greens. Should I just remove them and plant something else or try to fight it.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Today I picked two bell peppers and two Anaheim peppers, few cherry tomatoes and Roma tomatoes. I picked the only okra that grow on my plant, not sure what to do with one okra :-)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 AM

I am picking tomotoes every day, cukes most days and okra. I think I will check now to see if we have any peppers. I haven't been out this morning. First hubby turned our water on and now it looks like much needed rain is on the way.

Nita

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I'm in New Hampshire, so have a shorter growing season than many other areas. This is our 1st year with square foot gardening, and I think I may have gone a little overboard . In my 4 4-foot beds, I've got TOMATOES: at least 6 sweet 100s tomato plants, 6 'Lemon Boy, 3 Big Beef, a couple of heirloom varieties: 1 'Delicious', 1 'Rose', and 1 Black Zebra cherry plants. Plus cukes-4 pickling style, 4 bush-style. Some peppers: jalapeno, ancho, serrano. A couple of bell pepper plants. Swiss Chard, Celery. I think that's it Everything is sort of squished in, and have started to produce:

I've picked 5 or 6 cukes of each variety, tons of blooms, lots of little cukes that I hope will mature into edible size.

The only ripe tomatoes I've had so far are the heirlooms: 2 ripe 'delicious' tomatoes, large and very tasty. They were sliced and eaten, didn't even make it to the salad. The one Black Zebra cheery tomato that has ripened was interesting, both color and taste. Odd mix of sweet and smoky. I'll definitely go with more heirlooms next year!

Been picking Swiss Chard for a couple of weeks, and many harvests of various herbs (dill, thyme, taragon, oregeno, basil) I'll try to upload some pictures that I've taken of the gardens this year

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 AM

^^ Wow, sounds like a nice garden, can't wait to see some pics, it must look like a jungle. I also have couple of the Sweet 100, they are great. I pick some everyday.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

I spent about an hour pulling weeds and planting some winter squash before I picked tomatoes, cukes and a little more okra. Boy is it taking off and to think a month or so ago, I didn't think we were going to get any.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Is this time to plant new things already? I pulled out my cabbage after the worms got the best out of it while I was away and I have an empty space. Does winter squash get huge like summer squash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden