Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I have been getting few cherry tomoatoes everyday. I have couple bell peppers and eggplants that mom will stuff with a rice mix. My garden is dwindling and if I don't put anything in the ground soon I won't have anything this fall. Any suggestions on something fool proof for me to plant.
I still think your best bet would be winter squash. I think it is too late for fall/winter sweet pots.

I did get a couple more okra today and have a lot more to harvest, probably in a week or so. I thought it was about gone, but it just keeps going and going, like the battery. I got a cuke today but the tomatoes (cherries and grapes) are still green plus I have lots of blooms that may or may not set.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Overwintered pepper plants...are pepper making machines. Two bell pepper plants and a hot banana have been generous. I'd say 50 bells in a zone 5 with more on the way. I'd normally be happy with 5 per plant all season. Do overwinter pepper plants in a south face window with florescent lighting if you can.

Tomatoes still producing if beat up by some blight. Got some kale going so I'll have something to pick into December. Green beans are steady as are the cukes and round de nice summer squash.

Though once again the edible weeds still coming. I let some black night shade grow at will for some nice little black fruits.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
What an incredible summer for our gardens! I'm in New Hampshire, and have been picking cukes (both salad cukes and pickling cukes) daily since early July. We like the small pickling cukes, but have yet to pickle a one! They are just so good, and it's going to be so hard to go back to store-bought when we put the garden to bed for the season

Tomatoes were slow to start, but by planting a variety, there's been at least a few cherry (Sweet 100's) to pick each day. Also, Lemon Boy has been a STELLAR producer, and makes a great salsa

I am now officially hooked on heirloom varieties. I planted something called Delicious, which more than lived up to it's name! They are ugly as sin to look at, but deep red throughout, very meaty and tastes exactly what you imagine the perfect tomato to taste like. Perfect topping on a burger, in chunks for salad, added to salsa.

Peppers have been slow to produce/ripen (still haven't picked a red bell--they are getting bigger but not yet ripe) but the smaller chile-pepper varieties have actually been ripening to red. Picked 2 yesterday but not sure if they are (small) jalapeno, or possibly ancho.

With Hurricane Irene heading to New England, I may have to pick or perhaps pot up some of these plants till after the storm

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I'm a little excited about the storm. Looking forward to hanging around in the house surrounded by lovely rain. Curled up with a good book...munching on popcorn. LOL Am I the only one who loves rain?

I sincerely hope all our gardeners can escape any damage, though. Hopefully we'll get a lot of rain, and that's it...

Nevertheless, the rains and fog etc we've been getting lately are so delicious to me. The hanging fogs, the humidity...One of my favorite islands where I lived as a kid has a lot of rainforest and wet weather, and I think I love seeing wet leaves and greenery.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Well, about eleven years ago I planted this little sprig of a Fig Tree off to the right from the front of my garden, I am now getting about 6 to 8 ripe figs a day, ahhhhh, they do taste good!! About a week or so ago some old friends dropped by for a visit. Allison, was sitting in the back yard in the shade when I came out the back door, "Dusty, did you plant that Walnut Tree?" she asked. "What Walnut Tree???" I responded, she pointed north west at this tall tree next to the edge of my clearing, "That one!!" she said. "@#%%*&" I responded, she grinned. We have been living here for over 11 years and I had never noticed that Walnut Tree, nor the Walnuts it was producing either. So much for me being observant! I knew about the Pecan Tree, the two Apple trees, two Cherries and a Plum, but.....I had planted them (and my Fig Tree, but that is in the front yard next to the garden).

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 08-26-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 07:43 AM

I figured I would pick a lot of stuff before the hurricane hits: marjoram, parsley, sage, tomatoes and kohlrabi.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I figured I would pick a lot of stuff before the hurricane hits: marjoram, parsley, sage, tomatoes and kohlrabi.
I hope you don't get hit too hard. Please keep us posted.

nita

Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope you don't get hit too hard. Please keep us posted.

nita
Aww I will.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Squash!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Well, that ole Fig Tree I planted over 10 years ago is payng off. I got another 6 figs from it today, none of them made it inside the house, dang, they bees GOOD!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden