Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
OH, lol, I just noticed where you live! I suppose winter gardens would be quite out of the question!

I can't start my carrots until mid Dec or they won't be sweet or crunchy, just rubbery, lol. We get one shot at cool weather veggies but have five planting "seasons".

All the root vegetables have to be planted no earlier than Dec and no later than Jan (not much room for error), but we get two plantings of "spring" vegetables. Everything I planted in March (the first warm month...well, I mean like 80's warm), I'm planting again now.

The only thing that gets me is...I think I'm going to have to ask my neighbor to move so I can buy his lot and tear the house down ( )...it interferes with the winter sun, so I have to plant carefully.

My favorite crowders are either brown sugar or brown dimpled. The dimpled had over 20 peas per pod this last harvest. My favorite cool weather pea are of course, sugar snaps. Those will winter over if I throw a sheet on them at night, but once spring arrives, it's too hot for them and off they go
Crowders love hot weather and are the only good pea that will withstand our summers. That, okra and cherry toms. I abhor okra (eeewww).

I'll do some checking and see if I can find any cold hardy crowders listed in my great grandma's journals. (On my mom's side, they're Scots-Irish, so maybe out of 3 countries we can find one pea??)
Our summers are not HOT like other climes. This summer we had too many days in the mid-80's - that is HOT for us (LOL!). There could be a number of factors to explain my Crowder's demise:

- started late (won't make that mistake again)
- over-fertilized [maybe] (won't make that mistake again)
- too much sun (they wilted in the sun as pre-transplantation and as transplanted seedlings) - won't make that mistake again
- not enough hot/warm days
- a combination of part or all of the above.

I actually started a whole new plant in a container late in the season and it is doing great! Just no peas. I wish that I could bring the planter inside but it is probably insect-laden and do not want any of those critters to affect my thriving indoor houseplants and herbs. Also, I do not have a lighting situation set-up for a plant of its size.

I will start my darlings indoors in March under grow lights. I have heard that they can be temperamental when transplanting so I will make sure to harden them up before moving the seedlings into the garden (end of May).

Prediction: 2014 - I will have peas to harvest.

Last edited by Naturen; 08-25-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Alas, my garden is down to basil, chives, rosemary and two pepper plants which look healthy, but have not been very prolific. I pulled out the dead tomato plants and weeds yesterday. Next chance I get I'll put some lettuce and whatever I can find in there for the winter.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Alas, my garden is down to basil, chives, rosemary and two pepper plants which look healthy, but have not been very prolific. I pulled out the dead tomato plants and weeds yesterday. Next chance I get I'll put some lettuce and whatever I can find in there for the winter.
Did something happen or not happen with your garden It doesn't sound like the early winds of winter have set in.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Did something happen or not happen with your garden It doesn't sound like the early winds of winter have set in.
I am in Georgia, so the tomatoes went in in mid March. They did pretty well, but by now they are over. Here in the summer it gets too hot for them to set fruit, so after a point the plants don't produce anymore. I did experience some kind of malady with some of them towards the end. The stalks turned brown...looked like some kind of mold helped along their demise.
We have had some cool nights this August, so if I had planned better I might have been able to get a second planting of tomatoes in.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Cucumbers, cucumbers and more cucumbers! And TONS of sweet 100s tomatoes--they are like candy! And the pop-up tomato plants from last year are full of flowers, not sure what variety they are, but we'll see once the fruit is set--hopefully there is time before the 1st frost for that.

I've got rhubarb in one of my 4x4 raised beds, and it's still putting up new leaves every time I harvest a few. I'm a little surprised that it's still producing this late in the season--should I leave it alone to gather energy for next year? I thought by now it would have put up a seed head, but no, just more stalks & leaves...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
We ripped up the Zucchini afte rit seemed to succumb to old age and was dying off. Now we have a big bare spot right in front of the tomato plants. What would be a good fall crop to plant there? It will have good sun.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Broccoli florets and leaves, basil, oregano, parsley and baby carrots.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Tomatoes blessed tomatoes from an old farmer neighbor 3 different varieties.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Tomatoes blessed tomatoes from an old farmer neighbor 3 different varieties.
At least you finally got some garden tomatoes! Did any of yours ripen enough to eat?

Yesterday, our garden blessed us with tomatoes and basil for our pizza, and green tomatoes and eggplant for our lunch.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
At least you finally got some garden tomatoes! Did any of yours ripen enough to eat?

Yesterday, our garden blessed us with tomatoes and basil for our pizza, and green tomatoes and eggplant for our lunch.
You know all of them had that neon green ring right under the skins and a green hard core in the centers. That plant has 4 more tomatoes and 5 blooms but we don't have enough warm days for them to ripen. I'll probably try to bring the pot they are in inside when they forecast frost to see how they'll do. Or will try frying them up green to see how they taste.

Purple Cherokee was so yummy on toast & mayo I tell ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden