Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,816,966 times

Advertisements

I looked this up and found very little information. I've had Iceland Poppies for many years that return for a few years before running out of gas and that self seed every year. I do nothing to my poppies other than thin or cull out the unwanted starts.

Over the years I've had poppy sports that are bicolored (fairly common and pretty) but I've never specifically saved seed to see if they come back true to the parent. The other thing I've never had is a double until now. I'll post a photo as soon as my Dh can download it but I have a yellow very double Iceland poppy that if it will return true to the parent type I will be saving seed.

Anyone know?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 AM

Picture worth 1000 words:
Attached Thumbnails
Another garden ??? Doubled Iceland Poppies-poppy-1b.jpg  

Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,681,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I looked this up and found very little information. I've had Iceland Poppies for many years that return for a few years before running out of gas and that self seed every year. I do nothing to my poppies other than thin or cull out the unwanted starts.

Over the years I've had poppy sports that are bicolored (fairly common and pretty) but I've never specifically saved seed to see if they come back true to the parent. The other thing I've never had is a double until now. I'll post a photo as soon as my Dh can download it but I have a yellow very double Iceland poppy that if it will return true to the parent type I will be saving seed.

Anyone know?

Thanks again.
AK-Cathy.....most likely it will return true to the parent, although if you're really lucky, you COULD end up with a few of those doubles. It's certainly worth saving some seed from that plant in order to find out! I love when my reseeders throw me something really cool and unusual! If the plant itself will divide at the roots, you'll get more doubles, unfortunately, some of those poppies just don't transplant well, due to their long taproot.

I've got the same dilemna with a California poppy. I've got a few which pop up here and there. When closed in the evening and early morning, the backsides of their petals are a beautiful rose pink. When fully open, they are a creamy ivory color. Unfortunately, saving the seed generally yields me the plain ole typical yellow or orange California poppy. LOL I still get an occasional pink/ivory one, but darn few....dang it! LOL

Oooooohhh gorgeous! Thanks for the pic...what a beauty!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM

I've got the same dilemna with a California poppy.

Thanks for the seed info. I too get the pretty poppy color variations, pastels, bi-colors and color washes but have never saved the seeds, the double makes it worth a try.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 901 times
may 15 2016.. have identical sport of iceland poppy as illustration. did you have any luck with seed from your plant?
the double form is really superior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden