Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 02:12 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,389 times

Advertisements

Hi....

I hoping someone can help me out with this. I just noticed today that my dwarf maple has this gross white stuff growing in the soil. The maple itself seems fine, nothing on the leaves or stems.

I am going to attach some pictures. The maple is named "Beni" and I had him for about 4 or 5 years now. Seeing this is new to me.

Around Beni are some potted plants and their soil is just fine. Only Beni has the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Beni Hemi Dwarf Maple - White stuff in soil-dscn0682e.jpg   Beni Hemi Dwarf Maple - White stuff in soil-dscn0681e.jpg   Beni Hemi Dwarf Maple - White stuff in soil-dscn0684e.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Happy Spring,
When was the last time you changed the potting soil?
If it has been more than 2 years, it could be salts building up
in the soil, in which case you may want to flush them out, or
consider changing the potting soil to fresh soil.
Just a guess.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
I agree those are definitely salt crystals. I would recommend putting the maple in a large pot created of natural material. The crystals may be excess from fertilizer, and in any case, a terracotta etc pot allows the excess to leach to the outside of the container, protecting the plant.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,389 times
wow, so it could be salt then. The last time I re potted was about 2 years ago. Little Beni is going to get new soil and a larger terracotta pot. I was so worried and sort of grossed out by the white stuff. But thinking it can be salt, that changes everything.

Thank you both for your insight!! I'll get working on it tomorrow. I got Beni as a little nothing tiny baby and he grew into this amazing sight. So whatever keeps him happy I will do.

Have a great weekend!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden