U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 AM

6,470 posts, read 15,771,454 times

Advertisements

Hey BD I think I may have been mistaken about the tree. I'm uploading a few pictures. Can anyone help me figure out if it is a Japanese Maple. If it is, I should be happy since they don't get overly large. Then I guess I can continue with the shade garden.

I have a seedling I transplanted elsewhere and the seedling has orange-ish leaves.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,175,423 times
Hi, I didn't read the entire thread, but for an evergreen idea, I suggest Loropetalum. They're beautiful, and you can buy dwarf or regular and trim them. They have gorgeous foliage and also breathtaking flowers in the spring. And they love acidic soil. I just planted some myself...and this is the perfect time to plant them as we go into fall. Some of the varieties are shown here, although there are quite a few more not shown. They come with purple foliage to green, and flowers range from red to pink to white. I planted Purple Diamond and absolutely LOVE them.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:03 PM

25,621 posts, read 35,038,989 times
Ok Kinky after comparing it with about 200+ varieties of Japanese Maples

It appears to be a standard Acer Palmatum. Now this can be confusing because there are many varieties of Acer Palmatum including the standard Acer Palmatum, if that makes any sense. Maples are one of the most prolific trees world wide.

Ok now your tree can get to 30'+ tall under optimum conditions. Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear. However your Acer also does really well when heavily pruned.

Hope that helps, have a great weekend Kinky.

Bulldogdad.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM

885 posts, read 1,461,447 times
I like Yaupon holly

They are too tender for my zone unfortunately

The berries are attractive to birds during winter.

They come in dwarf:

Last edited by SusqueHappy; 09-09-2011 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Add pic

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks I think I'm going to keep going with the shade garden and try to prune the maple to keep it under control... 30 ft isn't as bad as 50 ft, right?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 PM

25,621 posts, read 35,038,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Thanks I think I'm going to keep going with the shade garden and try to prune the maple to keep it under control... 30 ft isn't as bad as 50 ft, right?

Sure.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 PM

238 posts, read 593,361 times
just had my yard done; asked for plantings that i would not see in every single neighboring yard. dwarf hinoki cypress, sarcococcas, fall blooming camellia, dwarf abies

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 AM

40,001 posts, read 70,709,196 times
I'm in zone 6B, but that's close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
1. Evergreens - Shorter than 3 feet is ideal.
I love hollies and boxwoods; no doubt there are plenty that would suit your planting zone. They're compact -- good for your tight spaces. The only babying they need is some acidic fertilizer in the spring and early fall. The blue rug juniper is nice, too. Or a dwarf azalea? I have a couple that are as tight as the hollies; I rarely have to prune them, and they retain their compact little round shape year after year.

Quote:
3. Perennials of 1 - ~30 inches high. I have some flowers in a nearby bed and I'm crazy and I like to color coordinate. I also have ideas RE feng-shui LOL for the location. Ideas in the blue or black family? Blooming in early spring or Fall is a plus.
I planted a ton of sedum in various heights and colors. Some stay above ground all winter, which is nice.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm in zone 6B, but that's close enough.

I love hollies and boxwoods; no doubt there are plenty that would suit your planting zone. They're compact -- good for your tight spaces. The only babying they need is some acidic fertilizer in the spring and early fall. The blue rug juniper is nice, too. Or a dwarf azalea? I have a couple that are as tight as the hollies; I rarely have to prune them, and they retain their compact little round shape year after year.

I planted a ton of sedum in various heights and colors. Some stay above ground all winter, which is nice.
Hmm nice tips. I have another area where I'd like to plant evergreens, too. Can you recommend any specific boxwood and holly cultivars? I tried to pick them before, but my head was spinning because of all the variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden