Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,329,097 times

Advertisements

I am planning to cut down two trees this Autumn. It turns out the previous owner planted them way too close to the house. Currently I have shade plants under the trees. The area gets normal water and the soil drains OK. The soil's acidic.

Any ideas for interesting plants along these lines?
1. Evergreens - Shorter than 3 feet is ideal. There are a couple of boulders in the beds already, so anything that looks cool with boulders is good.

2. Dwarf-ish fruit trees - I'd prefer ~15 feet and pretty blossoms. I'd like at least one fruit tree.

3. Perennials of 1 - ~30 inches high. I have some flowers in a nearby bed and I'm crazy and I like to color coordinate. I also have ideas RE feng-shui LOL for the location. Ideas in the blue or black family? Blooming in early spring or Fall is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Bump! (runs away)

Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,684,466 times
You want black flowers?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Yes I have a thing for black flowers. I have a couple already of black-ish flowers. Some hollyhocks, aquilegia and lilies. Sadly, the hollyhocks were devoured by rust.

The "black" flowers I have are usually really dark red or really dark purple, anyway. I have a bunch of purple and pink flowering things in a nearby plot, and I think something with dark flowers and/or dark foliage would be pretty.

Also, it's one of the entrances and I'm a little superstitious. I think those colors are auspicious.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,520,881 times
I'm a visual person can you take a picture of the area before I make any recommendations.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM

OK I got my new camera to work, and I cut the grass just for you. LOL I'll try to upload it tomorrow. In the meantime, I have another question. I built a 3-piece "arbor" out of 3 8ft 4X4's for my kiwi. I stupidly didn't review the instructions for digging, and I only dug the holes about 12 inches deep.

I'm upset. (sad face) Anyway, I put about 7 inches of concrete already in the ground. DO I really have to dig it up and dig a deeper hole? I have really thin wrists and my husband just sued me to try to get alimony etc for our (neverending) divorce, so I'm really upset and I can't face any more hard labor LOL.

Do you think the 4X4's will stay? If they're going to shift, would it make sense to just wait until next spring when the frozen ground is supposed to have displaced them since they may be easier to remove. It was really really hard getting it up in the first place. sob

Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM

while wait for your picts I will offer this advice...

If you want to construct the arbor correctly you will dig the holes to at least 24 inches (36 inches would be even better meaning your pole would need to be 9 feet long) for a six post with least a bag of concrete for each post. Now if your in an area that is subject to frost heaving I would go down below that layer at least another foot and add another bag of concrete. Is seven inches of concrete even one bag?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
while wait for your picts I will offer this advice...

If you want to construct the arbor correctly you will dig the holes to at least 24 inches (36 inches would be even better meaning your pole would need to be 9 feet long) for a six post with least a bag of concrete for each post. Now if your in an area that is subject to frost heaving I would go down below that layer at least another foot and add another bag of concrete. Is seven inches of concrete even one bag?

(baby voice) I aweady put it up. Sniff. I looked on the internet to verify, but that was after I put in the concrete in the holes. So now, I have my arbor up and it looks good.

Sniff. (pouty face and baby voice) but it no good. It bad.

How can kinky fix it?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Here it is. This is the business/studio entrance. There are a couple of boulders there that I'm going to keep. The thing on the right is a gorgeous red maple, and the thing on the left is a weeping cherry.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Awesome, Gimme some of that banana bread while I think this out. OK based on your pic where exactly do you want to put new plants?

I hope your not talking about knocking down the cherry or maple trees. those are both beautiful trees.

If that is your plan, I would first recommend heavy pruning to maintain those gorgeous trees. Obviously if it is a structural issue for your foundation or house I guess I can understand the need to remove them.

I get back to you on my recommendations after I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden