Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But you are saying, visible from the road, indicating to me, you live more out of town. Am I correct? There is a difference. I still do not think she is going to spend any time in jail, let's get real.

Nita
No I live in a smaller town in an area of mostly older homes (ours is nearing 100) with smaller lots and our veggie garden is visible by anyone passing by. Our next door neighbor also has a garden in his side yard that is visible from the street. If I look off my front porch across the road, the yard just behind my neighbor has a very visible larger veggie garden. All of the yards are also kept nicely mowed, flowering plants or bushes are also common in the yards, it all fits in nicely and is visually appealing as well as providing fresh nutritions food imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
According to the article, only "suitable" plants were allowed in the lawn area of the front yard. After the sewer repairs, there was no more lawn area, because it had all been taken out. I see the ordinance being written to address problems with weeds in people's lawns, not replacing a lawn with a vegetable garden. I fail to see how she could be in violation of that ordinance if she has no lawn area.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
No I live in a smaller town in an area of mostly older homes (ours is nearing 100) with smaller lots and our veggie garden is visible by anyone passing by. Our next door neighbor also has a garden in his side yard that is visible from the street. If I look off my front porch across the road, the yard just behind my neighbor has a very visible larger veggie garden. All of the yards are also kept nicely mowed, flowering plants or bushes are also common in the yards, it all fits in nicely and is visually appealing as well as providing fresh nutritions food imho.
Sounds like my kind of town, but I still do agree that if the city ordanance says no veggy gardens in the front, that is what it means. Should someone serve jail time? Of course not, but a fine would be expected (again, I am not talking 100s of $$s)

Now, where you live it is different, we have some similar areas here in NWA. I can think of a couple small towns where you see peoples gardens when driving by, the same in NE Oklahoma. This is a little different. Though no one in Bella Vista has a garden in the front yard (at least I have never seen one) a lot have gardens that can be seen when people drive by.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden