Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs in the Garden forum, but it really didn't seem to belong in Pets!

I just moved to a different part of the Bay Area (south), and have been seeing all sorts of new bugs... I was previously in San Francisco, where bugs of ANY kind are a rare sight. This one particular pest keeps getting into my apartment, and it flies pretty well, otherwise I'd assume it was a cockroach. Any ideas? Main reason I care is because my dog keeps trying to catch them, and I want to make sure it's nothing harmful to him.

Dang, I really need to vacuum... darned dog hair, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,484 times
It looks like what might be commonly called a "June Bug." Without anything to determine the scale, I can't really tell, but it sure does look like one. They're very common where I live, and they usually come out in May!

They're about an inch long, give or take, and stick to you if they land on you. I've never been bitten by one, and I don't think they're poisonous to your pets, but ask your vet to be certain. Take the bug with you so your vet can be sure. I hear they have a very bitter taste, which can make some pets drool or foam.

Pets sure do love to play with them!

Again, check with your vet.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not sure if this belongs in the Garden forum, but it really didn't seem to belong in Pets!

I just moved to a different part of the Bay Area (south), and have been seeing all sorts of new bugs... I was previously in San Francisco, where bugs of ANY kind are a rare sight. This one particular pest keeps getting into my apartment, and it flies pretty well, otherwise I'd assume it was a cockroach. Any ideas? Main reason I care is because my dog keeps trying to catch them, and I want to make sure it's nothing harmful to him.

Dang, I really need to vacuum... darned dog hair, LOL.
Holy crap, you've never seen a junebug before?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Holy crap, you've never seen a junebug before?
Apparently not! As I said, I used to live in San Francisco... and as is common with Pacific/marine climates, the bugs are few & far between. I probably have seen one at some time in my life, just not in my actual home - so I was less likely to notice, or to think "what is this??"

Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
It looks like what might be commonly called a "June Bug." Without anything to determine the scale, I can't really tell, but it sure does look like one. They're very common where I live, and they usually come out in May!

They're about an inch long, give or take, and stick to you if they land on you. I've never been bitten by one, and I don't think they're poisonous to your pets, but ask your vet to be certain. Take the bug with you so your vet can be sure. I hear they have a very bitter taste, which can make some pets drool or foam.

Pets sure do love to play with them!

Again, check with your vet.
Thanks... and yes, my dog does love to play with them! He always spits it right back out, which is probably due to the bitter taste - but being a typically dumb dog, he'll keep picking it back up over & over.

P.S. If they usually come out in May, why are they called JUNE bugs? LOL!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Apparently not! As I said, I used to live in San Francisco... and as is common with Pacific/marine climates, the bugs are few & far between. I probably have seen one at some time in my life, just not in my actual home - so I was less likely to notice, or to think "what is this??"
Man, the Pacific coast sounds nice. Something about the third coast that the bugs really like. If you walk twenty yards outside here you've touched 50 bugs. At least 50.

May through July - june bugs every-damn-where. If you have floodlights, there will be layers of june bugs underneath it every morning. They obstruct gutters and, if not cleared, smell very much like rotten shrimp when they decompose en masse.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Thanks... and yes, my dog does love to play with them! He always spits it right back out, which is probably due to the bitter taste - but being a typically dumb dog, he'll keep picking it back up over & over.

P.S. If they usually come out in May, why are they called JUNE bugs? LOL!
cause you will see them from May to July,so they are named after the middle month, sorta like the middle child.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
cause you will see them from May to July,so they are named after the middle month, sorta like the middle child.
I once heard a bad pickup line...

"Howdy, you're hotter'n a june bug in July!"

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Man, the Pacific coast sounds nice. Something about the third coast that the bugs really like. If you walk twenty yards outside here you've touched 50 bugs. At least 50.

May through July - june bugs every-damn-where. If you have floodlights, there will be layers of june bugs underneath it every morning. They obstruct gutters and, if not cleared, smell very much like rotten shrimp when they decompose en masse.
Yes the California Pacific Coast is one of the best in the world. The OP is right bugs in the Bay Area in the cities are fairly minimal. Having stated that once you get out in the marshes and wild lands just a few miles from town it can be bug central like any place else. I suspect the OP was fairly insulated in the concrete jungle for some time.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yes the California Pacific Coast is one of the best in the world. The OP is right bugs in the Bay Area in the cities are fairly minimal. Having stated that once you get out in the marshes and wild lands just a few miles from town it can be bug central like any place else. I suspect the OP was fairly insulated in the concrete jungle for some time.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I lived in San Francisco for almost 5 years, and on the Peninsula for about 20 years in total... but I've also lived in Stockton, Tahoe, Oregon, and was born in Maryland (moved here at age 6). Not only that, but I have traveled quite extensively! It's not like I never left SF, for goodness sakes - just hadn't noticed these bugs before, since they aren't a huge presence here.

Regardless, we don't have many bugs around here, especially on the coast & in the city... one of the things I love best about this area, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden