Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 10:12 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times

Advertisements

I planted several new lilac bushes just over 2 months ago. So far I have noticed only 1 bush is showing a little new growth, while the others are showing no new growth at all. Is this typical? Would watering the bushes with Miracle Grow help to promote new growth? I really want the bushes to fill out and take up some vacant space in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Yes it is normal for plants to take a while to get acclimated before growing foliage. What zone are you in? At any rate:
1. Plants are growing roots now. They'll show more leaf growth next year or two.
2. Fertilizing now may be bad because
2.1 it can encourage "weak" top growth without enough roots to support the leaves, which may cause your plant to croak later.
2.2 Newly growing roots may be burned by too much fertilizer.

I planted three new lilacs a couple of years ago (in the Fall, which is when I would recommend planting because you have to make sure to water deeply for transplanted shrubs and trees) and they didn't do much for about a year. They're growing now and should eventually get pretty large. I have a couple in the backyard, and they're pretty huge. I would hold off additional fertilizer until next year, and water as recommended to help the roots develop.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Lilac bushes will take more than two months to "fill out." Mine are five years old now, and are just now starting to look bushy.

For now, keep them deeply watered; if it's raining at a decent clip where you are, don't worry about watering them yourself. If the grass starts to get brown, give them a deep drink. I set my hose nozzle to dripping slightly, and leave it drip overnight between two plants; the next night, I move it between the other two.

Mulch in the fall.

Wait until early spring -- before they bloom -- to fertilize them, and use a fertilizer low in nitrogen. I use "Shrubs Alive" from Gardens Alive. Fertilize them again when you cut off the faded flowers.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
I've always gone by the rule - first year sleep, second year creep, third year leap. Depending on the size you planted, they could take a while to get going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden