Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times

Advertisements

My first year of using heirloom tomatos (several varieties) and I am having a major problem with mold. The bottoms of the tomatos are all turning black. They are not close to the ground, all are staked. Never had this problem before. Do heirloom tomatos require anti fungal spraying or other special care? I use organic fertilizer, nothing more. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Sounds like Blossom End Rot.

Blossom End Rot Fact sheet

As the article says, blossom end rot is a common problem in all kinds of tomatoes.

I have grown heirloom tomatoes several times in different locations. They failed both times. I'm not messing with them anymore.

Guess that's why there are so many varieties of hybrid tomatoes. Try a different variety next year. Something recommended for your area.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Sounds like Blossom End Rot.

Blossom End Rot Fact sheet

As the article says, blossom end rot is a common problem in all kinds of tomatoes.

I have grown heirloom tomatoes several times in different locations. They failed both times. I'm not messing with them anymore.

Guess that's why there are so many varieties of hybrid tomatoes. Try a different variety next year. Something recommended for your area.
Agreed, most any good garden center can sell you a spray to put on the flowers and buds, it's calcium and blossom end rot is a symptom of calcium deficiency..

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I tried the Brandywine tomatoes last year and they didn't really do much. They also fell to wilt. Maybe its the weather but heirlooms aren't as hardy or as productive as others. I think this year the on and off again heat messed with out early girl tomato plant and it didn't produce. We have Big Beef and Fantastic next to it that are doing really well size wise and production wise although I didn't find the taste of them to be truly exceptional. I'm hoping the Beefmaster is the best tasting of the bunch.
If it gets really hot the blossoms don't set so we may have a shortened season this year.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
thanks for all the feedback. And yes I have found that the taste of the heirlooms does not seem to be all that different from the standard tomatoes I usually grow. Sort of disappointing. Will try the calcium though.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Heirlooms will do ok but there are reasons why they've been replaced with hybrids, and you've discovered a few of them. I happen to like the flavor better, I've found many are a bit more acidic which I like.

Also, and I may get hammered here, many of the heirloom varieties are determinate, they set and ripen fruit at about the same time and the plant then dies. That makes harvesting for canning, one huge harvest over a few days, easier.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I tried the Brandywine tomatoes last year and they didn't really do much. They also fell to wilt. Maybe its the weather but heirlooms aren't as hardy or as productive as others. I think this year the on and off again heat messed with out early girl tomato plant and it didn't produce. We have Big Beef and Fantastic next to it that are doing really well size wise and production wise although I didn't find the taste of them to be truly exceptional. I'm hoping the Beefmaster is the best tasting of the bunch.
If it gets really hot the blossoms don't set so we may have a shortened season this year.
Have you tried the Cherokee Purple variety yet? Last year I had one plant, this year I had a dozen, next year it will be at least two dozen. It makes the best tomato sandwich of any variety I have tried, they are delicious!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Heirlooms will do ok but there are reasons why they've been replaced with hybrids, and you've discovered a few of them. I happen to like the flavor better, I've found many are a bit more acidic which I like.

Also, and I may get hammered here, many of the heirloom varieties are determinate, they set and ripen fruit at about the same time and the plant then dies. That makes harvesting for canning, one huge harvest over a few days, easier.
I have 3 Black Krim and they are indeterminate, they have been producing slowly. I sure like the flavor but I think I will need to plant more of them if I want to can some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden