Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Great tip, thank you I think I will skip planting okra next year since I don't have the space for it. I just wanted to see how it will look and what it will do.
nor do I. We have about 6 plants, that is giving us plenty (its only hubby and me.)

By the way, We did have the Okra for dinner last night with fresh tomatoes, jalapenos and onions. Boy was it good (I used a couple of bacon slices as well) And yes, the big ones were awful. One I used wasn't even edible. But the rest were great. I am going to watch them carefully and keep them picked.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
One other tip on okra and some other veggies like asparagus, before I forget. If you don't want them cooked whole, you can often sort out the bad ones by using a fairly large really sharp kitchen knife.

Take a small pod that is pretty sure to be tender. Lightly hold the knife to see how much pressure it takes to cut a coin shaped section from the pod. Once you have that firmly in mind, start cutting the larger pods, starting at the tip. If you don't use significantly more pressure, it becomes pretty obvious which pods are woody. Sometimes you can use the tips, even from pods that are otherwise woody. (This tip works even better on asparagus, where the tips are almost always good, and the bases progressively more woody.)

Tough pods are still fine for making a gumbo. Cook 'em, use a slotted spoon to remove the pod husks, and just use the thick cooking liquid. Okra and tomato love each other.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm all ears...
Okra grows fast. Pick them before they gets very firm. For pods keep the okra grow on the plant until skin begins to split. then pick them store in cool dry place.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
when her show is over.

OH you said OKRA

Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Four inches. They grow almost overnight and can get woody fast.

And if this is your first time fiddling with okra, you want to wear a hat, long sleeve shirt, and gloves. You won't notice it too much as you pick, but the leaves and pods can make you miserable for a day if they get on your skin. After the first picking, it is somewhat common for experienced gardeners to cut off all the leaves. By that time, the plant has plenty of energy stored to make more pods, and stopping the feeding of leaves not only makes picking more pleasant, but pushes the plant to put its energy into pod-making. If you don't believe me, just try it on a few plants.
Four stars to the above! I worked at a neighbor's farm last summer, and was in charge of the okra. I picked it in the 90 plus degree heat. I wore a hat, gloves, cotton pajama bottoms over my shorts (because they were lightweight), and one of DH's long sleeved cotton shirts over my t shirt. Okra rash is horrible - it itches, you scratch, then it burns like fire. The farm was short staffed, they didn't have anyone pick the okra but me, and I only worked three days a week. Friday to Monday (the days I was off), that okra grew, and I spent most of my time sawing off too-large useless pods and got very little sellable.

This year, I have a patch of my own. It is popular in Indian cuisine, and is a good seller.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 AM

7 posts, read 19,481 times
Plant okra in with other veggies. That way they don't take up any room. One or two here and one or two there and so on. Pick when 3 to 4 inches long for fresh eating. For cooking maybe as long as 6 inches. Never longer. Pick every other day.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKKUNNUI View Post
Plant okra in with other veggies. That way they don't take up any room. One or two here and one or two there and so on. Pick when 3 to 4 inches long for fresh eating. For cooking maybe as long as 6 inches. Never longer. Pick every other day.
I plant it in my flower beds as I don't really have room for anything else. I love the plants and the flowers and of course, I love okra. Some years works better than others. I ALWAYS plant the Clemson Spineless and don't suffer from the rash. That is correct that you can almost see it growing.....amazing. Also, I could happily die, face down, in a bowl of fresh tomatoes, okra, onions, with a little bacon grease for seasoning.....aaahhhhh.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKKUNNUI View Post
I didn't pick today, between Sunday coffee, church, Sam's shopping whatever I just didn't get out to the garden: I can pretty much imagine what tomorrow will look like.

Nita

Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Four inches. They grow almost overnight and can get woody fast.

And if this is your first time fiddling with okra, you want to wear a hat, long sleeve shirt, and gloves. You won't notice it too much as you pick, but the leaves and pods can make you miserable for a day if they get on your skin. After the first picking, it is somewhat common for experienced gardeners to cut off all the leaves. By that time, the plant has plenty of energy stored to make more pods, and stopping the feeding of leaves not only makes picking more pleasant, but pushes the plant to put its energy into pod-making. If you don't believe me, just try it on a few plants.
As an update: I clipped the leaves on two of my plants and removed all of the leaves except for the upper set on three others.

All of these plants have tripled their pod production.

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good tip Harry...

Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I thank you sir. You and I have been posting long enough for you to know I call 'em as I see 'em. Glad it could help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden