U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,268,015 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this successfully? I spend way too much each Fall buying the plants to fill flower boxes (I get the black and orange ones that look great for October) and sometimes plant others in my landscaping. Anyway, I was looking at seeds online and they were talking about germinating, starting indoors, etc. It also sounds like it may be too late to start from seed right now because I would need them ready to go outside by about September 20, only 6 weeks away. Maybe it's too hot to start them outdoors right now? Temps are still in the 90s and will remain in the 80s/90s through August (I'm in Denver). Now I'm thinking it just wouldn't work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,240,956 times
Ideally, you need a few weeks before the last week of frost. If you were to plant any seeds, it's better to get an early start. This goes for tomatoes and peppers, too.

So, yes, it's a little too late if you want fully grown plants with flowers soon to come. I had some success with tomatoes, but they didn't turn out too great. I'm still growing lavender from seed.

The problem is it's very time consuming; you still need a lot more resources (soil, larger pots to grow larger plants). Not to mention, most nurseries grow plants from root-stock.

Don't let this bring you down, though. Growing from seed is still somewhat fun. I also have a few tree seeds growing in our house. We got a few pods from our back yard last winter and we have about five new trees growing. They're flowering trees, so I'm excited to see what color flowers they will bloom.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
Ideally, you need a few weeks before the last week of frost. If you were to plant any seeds, it's better to get an early start. This goes for tomatoes and peppers, too.

So, yes, it's a little too late if you want fully grown plants with flowers soon to come. I had some success with tomatoes, but they didn't turn out too great. I'm still growing lavender from seed.

The problem is it's very time consuming; you still need a lot more resources (soil, larger pots to grow larger plants). Not to mention, most nurseries grow plants from root-stock.

Don't let this bring you down, though. Growing from seed is still somewhat fun. I also have a few tree seeds growing in our house. We got a few pods from our back yard last winter and we have about five new trees growing. They're flowering trees, so I'm excited to see what color flowers they will bloom.
I don't want them for Summer (I filled flower boxes with them in early March and by mid May, they were done, so that's when I pulled them out and switched over to Summer flowers). I want them for Fall (October/November). I take out the Summer flowers around Sept. 15 and put in the black and orange pansies every year at that time. By October, they're thick and colorful, and usually last until early December here in Denver. From what I've read, it's probably too late to plant seeds and then have flowering plants by the end of September. Plus I really have nowhere cool to grow them.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,233,114 times
From seed to small plant with its first flowers (the kind you put out in the fall) is about 10 weeks. You have probably missed the deadline for the size you want. You could still start them and transplant out in the garden when the temps cool down a bit but they will be a little behind the greenhouse grown varieties when it comes time to boom and the size of the plants. I found a nice description of the "how to" and some of the problems you might encounter so you are prepared- if you decide to go ahead and grow them from scratch.

Archives | Aggie Horticulture

Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
From seed to small plant with its first flowers (the kind you put out in the fall) is about 10 weeks. You have probably missed the deadline for the size you want. You could still start them and transplant out in the garden when the temps cool down a bit but they will be a little behind the greenhouse grown varieties when it comes time to boom and the size of the plants. I found a nice description of the "how to" and some of the problems you might encounter so you are prepared- if you decide to go ahead and grow them from scratch.

Archives | Aggie Horticulture
Thanks for the link. I think I'll wait until next year to try from seed, knowing I need to start the seeds in early July. I have a good nursery nearby that has a wide variety out by mid September, but they're a little expensive. I really love the black and orange violas that are perfect for our front porch flower boxes in October. I rarely see anyone else plant them, but I rush to this nursery as soon as they get them in. I think they're called "trick-or-treat" variety. People always ask about them as they walk by.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 PM

I've seen the Halloween mix of pansies and was thinking about putting a few in near the pumpkin at the front door. I sure can understand wanting to grow them!!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I've seen the Halloween mix of pansies and was thinking about putting a few in near the pumpkin at the front door. I sure can understand wanting to grow them!!
I've had people ask me if they were real lol! But they're so cold hardy, they last in my flower boxes into December, and the black/orange looks kind of funny with Christmas lights up, so I usually take them down at that time. They'll finally die off in the boxes once the temp. gets down into the lower teens.

I have one planter by the front door that I fill with the black and orange violas, some English Ivy, and ornamental Kale - the perfect Fall planting.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Pansies have done really well here. In my old zone 5 they lasted until just after Thanksgiving in a good year. Here in the south the ones I planted last fall have finally become toast after months of heat and hot sun. They didn't grow much all winter but once the first warm days in March hit the just took off and bloomed beautifully for months. They really do like cooler weather better.

If you plant the Halloween mix again please revive this thread and post some pictures. Now you've got me thinking about them for planting in another month when things finally cool down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden