U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,739,927 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I’ve been very ill this summer & still haven’t planted my rosebush which has been in the cellar for 5-mos. Is it too late or do I just leave it there over the winter? Someone asked before, I looked it up & this is zone 6.

My vote was to chance it & plant it, as last year we had a longer period of time before frigid temps hit. With the weather being as strange as it has over the passed few years, I was hoping for the same long warm trend this year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much… VV
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 AM

13,393 posts, read 43,397,741 times
I am so sorry you've been ill.
I vote you go ahead and plant it.
Usually fall is a good time, you could put it off a few more weeks.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I am so sorry you've been ill.
I vote you go ahead and plant it.
Usually fall is a good time, you could put it off a few more weeks.
Thank you, Cil. I planted the patient little lad last Monday while doing a major gardening & yard overhaul. It was beginning to look reminiscent of Okinawa out there. 8-hrs of good exercise. I'm still slightly sore (I had no idea we had so many muscles in our fingers/hands!), but a good kind of sore. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's planted in its favorite spot next to the other rosebush & the bees keep it company as it grows up big & strong.

Thank you for your reply & good wishes. I'm doing fine & hopefully the roses are, too.

Have fun... VV

Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,391,569 times
I just received an email from Jackson & Perkins the other day about planting roses in late summer/early fall. I thought you could only plant in the spring when there wasn't any risk of frost. I'm guessing with the frost starting later each year, maybe there are enough warm days for the plants to establish themselves b4 the winter winds start to howl.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM

5,653 posts, read 18,609,824 times
Has it been bare root or is it in a pot? If bare root, soak for at least 24 hours in a pail of water. You should be able to plant, then water a lot once it is in the ground. Just make sure you bury that bud union (that knob under the branches). At least 3-6 inches under the top layer of soil so it won't freeze.
If it is a hybrid tea rose, make sure you cover at least with some mulch to overwinter it's first winter.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Thank you again all for answering. I planted the bush (it was in a biodegradable pot, Gardner) last weekend. I followed the directions on the packaging by burying it 2" below the top of the pot after placing slits in it & I guess I won't know how it does for a few years 'til it begins to blossom, right?

In any event, I'm just glad it's in the ground & right, MM, since our fall/winters have been beginning later here, I figured I'd take a chance that weather will be warmer longer. We're expected to have high 90's temps on the weekend here, so summer's not going anywhere yet.

Have fun... VV

Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM

21,534 posts, read 29,180,202 times
How deep did you plant it? Was it own root or did it have the graft?
I'm in zone 6 NJ and always bury the graft a good 2 inches below ground. This will keep the rose alive below the dirt if the canes freeze / die. What ever you do, don't prune it until the spring.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How deep did you plant it? Was it own root or did it have the graft?
I'm in zone 6 NJ and always bury the graft a good 2 inches below ground. This will keep the rose alive below the dirt if the canes freeze / die. What ever you do, don't prune it until the spring.
Hi Rose -

I haven't been online much so just saw your post. I have no idea what a graft is, but planted the middle "bumpy thing" 2" below ground as the directions said, in it's bio-degradable pot after scoring it. I put some gravel around it, as someone suggested in another thread, watered it daily as it said (it was also 100-degrees at that time, too) & then we've had off/on rainy weather, so I've only had to water it twice in drier periods. It seems to be fine. There's no change in anything, but I suppose there's not much evident growth with a new bush?

My old rosebush is growing, although it's seemed sickly over the past 3-yrs, despite occasional food. The roses aren't nice enough anymore to cut & bring inside. They're fragile, the color of the flowers have lightened significantly (they used to be vibrant red) & the stems won't allow it to stand up straight. I get 1/2-dozen flowers on 1 fragile stem. And, that middle bumpy thing (root?) has risen above ground, I guess by soil washing away? A piece of that root broke off when I was cutting the grass a few weeks ago & 1/2 of the stems/branches have been drying up & turning brown, needing to be removed over the past 3-yrs. I've cut them off & built up a brick circle around the plant to fill in with dirt, hoping that will be better for it. Should I fill it in with dirt to cover that middle bump by 2", like with the new plant? Any suggestions?

Maybe the plant is just old. That rosebush is over 70-yrs old & has had some volitile weather to live through during that time.

Thanks for the reply... VV

Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 AM

13,393 posts, read 43,397,741 times
Kitten, I am not that knowledgable about roses, so hopefully someone will jump in here, but it does sound like your original rosebush is getting kind of tired.
It reminds me of a beautiful, humungous rosemary plant (more like a bush or hedge) my grandma had on Nantucket. It was in a very protected, sunny courtyard spot. I thought that thing would never die, but eventually it did.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,391,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Kitten, I am not that knowledgable about roses, so hopefully someone will jump in here, but it does sound like your original rosebush is getting kind of tired.
It reminds me of a beautiful, humungous rosemary plant (more like a bush or hedge) my grandma had on Nantucket. It was in a very protected, sunny courtyard spot. I thought that thing would never die, but eventually it did.
I wonder if it's possible to take cuttings from the original rosebush to root new bushes in case the old one goes. I'm not sure exactly how it's done but it has something to do with new shoots & glass mason jars. You could probably google the instructions. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden