Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,120 times

Advertisements

So, I usually make a trip around my house to see what's blooming or growing. Our spring day lilies have done their job by growing pretty blue flowers, which lasted about two to three weeks.

Today, I went around and found some green bulb-like...bulbs where the flowers where. It actually grew another set of branches or stems just to have these things. What I want to know is what they are. Are they actual bulbs I can take inside and plant or are they a seed-pod, or something similar? I'll try to get a picture of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
So, I usually make a trip around my house to see what's blooming or growing. Our spring day lilies have done their job by growing pretty blue flowers, which lasted about two to three weeks.

Today, I went around and found some green bulb-like...bulbs where the flowers where. It actually grew another set of branches or stems just to have these things. What I want to know is what they are. Are they actual bulbs I can take inside and plant or are they a seed-pod, or something similar? I'll try to get a picture of them.
My Asiatic lilies and tulips normally grow seed pods at the top that look like hard little green torpedoes. Those eventually dry in late Fall, and I can break them open and release the seeds.

I have a lot of daylilies (hemerocallis), but for some reason, I don't think I've ever seen seed pods on the ones I have. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention.

Pix of daylily seed pods: http://www.thegardencontinuum.com/Po...esized-600.jpg

Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

While daylilies do form seed pods in the place of a few of their buds your description has me a little confused. There are no truly blue daylilies and those that are called blue are pretty expensive, rare and only partially blue. Many with "blue" in their name are still shades of purple or multicolored. Daylilies each last a day but the period of flowering is usually a lot longer than 2 weeks and many that are available now are called rebloomers which means after the first month of blooming many have a second flush of blooms for another month.

So, maybe you can post a picture of the plant, or a link to one that looks just like it and solve the mystery for me. I suspect the 2-3 week spring blue bloomer might have been an Iris. Iris do form a seed pod in some cases. The following article is about hybridizing so you can ignore the beginning (unless it interests you) and look at the pictures under "Watching for Results" to see a seedpod from a fertilized flower.
Try Your Hand at Hybridizing with Irises

Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,120 times
J&Em, you're absolutely correct. They are not day lilies, they are Iris'. Sorry for the confusion, my dad has always called them day lilies and I just assumed that's what they were. I looked up pictures of both and found they were a blue iris.

Yet, this was the first time, after about three to four years, his iris' has grown seed pods on the top. This is actually a new hobby of mine, so I'm a little excited.

We have about 5-6 little trees from our back yard. I can't think of the name off hand, but they're a small flowering trees. We collected seeds from each tree last fall and we planted them when we started our garden. They have white, pink and a purple colored flowers on them, so it'll be interesting to see what will grow. (I do understand; however, picking seeds from plants can give you unexpected results, but the idea of growing more of those trees and other plants are really exciting).

Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM

'Found' plants and ones you seed are usually the most fun, especially if you have room to experiment and don't mind a few strange results. My favorites have always been the ones someone has shared from their garden I hope you are able to use a few of the Iris seeds. Depending on the variety, and what pollinated the flower you may have a new color or you may have the same Iris growing. Take pictures and keep a journal, you'll love looking back a few years from now at how your garden has done. The trees sound intriguing. I hope you got some healthy specimens.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
J&M my first hint she was talking about iris and not day lily was she called them spring. Iris bloom in the spring while day lilies bloom in June. and what we wouldn't give for a true blue day lily!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
J&M my first hint she was talking about iris and not day lily was she called them spring. Iris bloom in the spring while day lilies bloom in June. and what we wouldn't give for a true blue day lily!

Yeah I reread the spring part, twice!

After touring the garden of a daylily fancier/breeder/lecturer I could not get over the number of unusual shapes and colors that are now available but even she had nothing even remotely solid true blue. I'd love to have one in my garden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden