U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,007 times

Advertisements

i decided to not fight the moss in my lawn this year. additionally, i left one area almost completely alone all summer, only cutting it early spring and pulling weeds by hand thereafter. that became filled with a yellow wildflower bed that has inhibited not only tall grass but even dandelions. so, next year i will do this as a border around the entire property.

the rest of the lawn i mowed less & less as the season went by, & now at summer's end, while everyone else is ugly brown from chemicals, dethatching, and overmowing, my lawn is soft and emerald green. pulling dandelions is a manual chore replacing mowing. it looks beautiful, with very short wildflowers here and there.

i talked to neighbors before deciding to allow the moss. there was resistance because it is not the norm, moss seems to be universally hated here. but why fight mother nature? --the moss even makes pulling dandelions easier than grass does, because there are no tangled roots below.

spending time in my yard without a loud mower has encouraged converstations with neighbors, & i value their input. we don't all agree, but i was pleasantly surprised when the mayor stopped by and said he might try it next year at his house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM

560 posts, read 1,197,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceorleave View Post
i decided to not fight the moss in my lawn this year. additionally, i left one area almost completely alone all summer, only cutting it early spring and pulling weeds by hand thereafter. that became filled with a yellow wildflower bed that has inhibited not only tall grass but even dandelions. so, next year i will do this as a border around the entire property.

the rest of the lawn i mowed less & less as the season went by, & now at summer's end, while everyone else is ugly brown from chemicals, dethatching, and overmowing, my lawn is soft and emerald green. pulling dandelions is a manual chore replacing mowing. it looks beautiful, with very short wildflowers here and there.

i talked to neighbors before deciding to allow the moss. there was resistance because it is not the norm, moss seems to be universally hated here. but why fight mother nature? --the moss even makes pulling dandelions easier than grass does, because there are no tangled roots below.

spending time in my yard without a loud mower has encouraged converstations with neighbors, & i value their input. we don't all agree, but i was pleasantly surprised when the mayor stopped by and said he might try it next year at his house.
prove it

Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 AM

22,279 posts, read 20,099,978 times
We have a spot in the backyard that is prone to having moss. Its in a poor drainage area under two trees so grass doesn't grow too well there. We've tried shade grass, not much luck. It can be a pain. If you walk across it while mowing and its at all wet, it clumps out and you slip in the muddy ground underneath. A mottled green brown patch of lawn doesn't look very appealing but it is better than tall spiky weeds.
I don't mind dandelion in the yard although it looks better when the yellow flowers are cut off. We have a guinea pig and its a free treat for her. Clover is also a weed I like having around, the wild rabbits eat it, honeybees like it and the guinea pig especially likes it.
Moss has its purpose, I guess. I see robins and other birds collecting mud for their nests and when we clean out the birdhouses I often see a soft layer of moss in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden