Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,746 times

Advertisements

Weeded, watered, then spent three hours spreading mulch. Lots more to go, but it was HOT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Today I pulled up nutsedge as I about died in the heat!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Picked raspberries and got scratches. Wretched thorns! Fortunately, the blackberries are thornless. Picked blackberries, too. Brought in the next to last watermelon, Charleston Grays. Guess I should plant some more of them. Fed some of the very tart peaches to the rabbits (they are angora rabbits in a cage so they make fertilizer and don't eat gardens). Cleared out the last of the beets and replanted. Replanted the lettuce - a red romaine for the summer months. Harvested lettuce seed, harvested runner bean seeds, replanted green beans. Staked up the tomatoes. Staked up the nasturtiums just for good measure. Weeded out the herb garden and the pineapple patch. Fed the weeds to the bunnies to make into more fertilizer. Put some of the herbs in the oven (it's a gas oven with a pilot light which keeps it toasty warm) to dry. Picked tangerines and grapefruits, mulched the bananas. Trained some branches of the new peach tree horizontal so they won't wreck the view from the back windows. Had enough of yard work and hung out in the hot tub at dusk.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Watered, weeded, spread some epsom salt and coffee grounds, discovered there are a plethora of little cucumbers fruiting, and my zucchini is getting HUGE! Harvested a bunch of basil and dusted a bunch of stuff with DE. Dang ants are feasting on my sunflowers, it's such a battle to keep them looking pretty...but my cukes love climbing up those mammoth stalks, so I'm determined to have them...plus I really love roasted sunflower seeds, but between the ants and the birds, I don't think I'll have quite the abundance I had anticipated. I also finally got the African violet my mom dug up for me, so I double-potted it in good African violet soil and put it on the front porch, which only gets indirect light...it's looking a little sad at the moment, but hopefully it'll perk up now that it's getting the nutrients it needs and isn't being waterlogged in the ground right next to a hose, LOL!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I haven't had an african violet in years. All the posts mentioning them are making me want to buy one...God knows I don't need anymore houseplants, but I may spring for an african violet and one of the new scented begonias.

As far as the jardin goes, I weeded today, and watered my evergreens. I planned a mixed evergreen hedgerow for privacy on my field. I added several juniper from a big-box store in Spring. The plant's weren't expensive, but I was hurting pretty badly after planting them. Unfortunately due to my negligence, one DIED!

I'm a killer. sniff.

Now I have an outside job and additional income, I am going to spring for a big nursery-planted something. At least I won't have to wait for the new one to grow in. It should be fun to decide what to plant.

I hand-pollinated more squash and weeded. I saw a dastardly little rabbit eyeing my backyard garden, so I sprayed everything w/ repellent. I thinned out the basil...so I guess I'm having pasta for dinner.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
Watered my container plants: meyer lemon, yuzu, pummelo, ice cream bean, common guava, strawberry guava, red guava. Some pruning on the calamondin, along with water in the hopes that it will return from death's door. The feijoa has croaked.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Weeded, watered, then spent three hours spreading mulch. Lots more to go, but it was HOT!!!
obviously you do not have the same heat wave we have and the eastern seaboard. I hope you continue to be lucky.... I did go out and full a few of the dead plants, hand watered the pots, but decided to give up on the bell pepper pot plants and the cukes. I think I will try and pull a few more things up today and then see if I can't find something to replace my dried up mess.....

Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Weeded and watered. Chased the chicken out of my beds. Picked Japanese beetles off the roses and fed them to the chickens.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
yesterday, I pulled out the green beans, and some squash plants, I also planted some sweet potatoes, but I doubt they will make it unless the temps cool a little. We have had just over 3 weeks of temps, everyday, above 100. At 5pm yesterday it was 105 in our town, according to the TV weather man. We may get a break in a few days...I also pulled a few weekds. I don't think I was in the garden more than about 15 minutes. Today I will water the pots, I do it every other morning. The only one I am letting die out is our 1 hanging plant where mommy CArdinal is sitting on her egggs. Some of the potted plants like my cukes are gone for the year.

Nita

Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I picked zucchini, yellow squash, and peas, pulled weeds, and hoed. I sprinkled some 5 Sevin on my cukes to keep those nasty little striped beetles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden