Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times

Advertisements

I just gave one a wild water ride down my kitchen drain.

I hate those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
they are starting to come inside now to spend the winter indoors.

i accidentally squashed one last night [didn't know it was there]. P-U!!
sorta like a bunch of smelly gym socks with something sharp and chemical-smelling thrown in for good measure.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
I thought I was doing pretty good til I took the summer curtains down to put up the winter ones, those little buggers were moved in but I got 'em! Very sneaky hiding in all the folds. Also found a few hiding in my air vents.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Part of the reason why I fumigated the whole house before moving in... but still, here they are those stupid stink bugs.

I do try to kill as many as I can "outside" on the screen, sunporch, deck, window, doors as I can (think I may have swatted like 500 so far, DH said the more I kill the better for next year so they don't reproduce) and killed whatever numbers that managed to sneak in... so so far, inside the house seems pretty good and "air-tight" from those buggers.

It is getting colder... so hopefully they are well-contained and won't be as many in the numbers.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Part of the reason why I fumigated the whole house before moving in... but still, here they are those stupid stink bugs.

I do try to kill as many as I can "outside" on the screen, sunporch, deck, window, doors as I can (think I may have swatted like 500 so far, DH said the more I kill the better for next year so they don't reproduce) and killed whatever numbers that managed to sneak in... so so far, inside the house seems pretty good and "air-tight" from those buggers.

It is getting colder... so hopefully they are well-contained and won't be as many in the numbers.
Thank you for your valorous service to the community.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Asian Stink Bugs

I left North Central Virginia mostly because of these pests. They invaded the house I was in and no pesticide or household cleaner killed them. They are attracted to light and winter in the walls. Very destructive in orchards. A year round nuisance.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM

I'm still getting them.. and they're big ones. Where are they hiding? I've looked all over but can't seem to find a nest or anything.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I'm still getting them.. and they're big ones. Where are they hiding? I've looked all over but can't seem to find a nest or anything.
My feeling is that they hide in the insulation in our attics. You could try making one of those homemade stink bug traps featured on You Tube - I think that there is a link to one on this thread.

The number of stink bugs in and around my house has been declining in the recent years. I am not too sure if it is the weather, the bugs have cycles, or our local birds are developing a taste for these foreign invaders. I do have many wild turkeys around my house and a few ducks.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks. I'll look up the stink bug trap. They may be up in my attic. I have really high ceilings in the living room/dining room area that go up to the roof line and there is a very small portion of attic up there. The living room/dining room are usually where I find them too. I bet they're hiding in there. It's the only place where we can't easily see into or get to of course.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Thanks. I'll look up the stink bug trap. They may be up in my attic. I have really high ceilings in the living room/dining room area that go up to the roof line and there is a very small portion of attic up there. The living room/dining room are usually where I find them too. I bet they're hiding in there. It's the only place where we can't easily see into or get to of course.
When we lived in New Jersey we had some coming into the house in the summer and then some a few months into the winter, with no other bugs. I wonder what they eat? Our thoughts were that the stragglers may have been in the attic or maybe between the walls. They were hanging around the lamp shades and the windows, so we know there is a light element.

Ok. They were found in East Asia and none were reported in the US until 1990. They eat leaves, flowers, fruit and crops like soybeans. They also eat other pests, such as caterpillars. They are mainly found in vegetation and there was a recommendation to hand pick them in the morning when they are slow moving.

We have a Dyson, and it is easy to just vacuum them up. The recommendation is to empty the vacuum bag immediately, with no explanation why. We have no bag and just leave them in there in the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden