Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:18 PM

845 posts, read 1,342,349 times

Advertisements

So, I've been growing sunflowers for the last couple years. This is my first time ever posting pics of them. Hopefully the pictures come out good.

I've learned a lot about them in the last few years; besides following the Sun, they mostly bloom to the east (except the foreign ones). The florets in the middle follow the Fibonacci numbers, which I'm sure most things do but I guess is the only flower that does.

The part about them growing to the east was just sprinkles on top of the cake; anybody who drives by our house gets this amazing color scheme from the sunflowers growing in front of the fence.

PS, the date on the pictures is incorrect. >_<
Attached Thumbnails
Sunflower pics-sunflower-pics_1.jpg   Sunflower pics-sunflower-pics_2.jpg   Sunflower pics-sunflower-pics_3.jpg   Sunflower pics-sunflower-pics_4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,575,115 times
Absolutely beautiful !! I wonder could I use one as a Desktop picture ? Nothing is prettier than some perky sunflowers IMO. thx.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Very nice! Great looking sunflowers.

Now you just need to learn to use the date function of the camera.

And cut the lawn.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 13,885 times
I think Flower color is what comes to mind of many when asked what makes a special design. I preach the importance of design features of solid and attractive leaves, but there is no doubt that reduce the impact very attractive flower colors. Once you understand the options available to the plants, the real fun begins: mix and match!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 PM

52,222 posts, read 33,917,037 times
i haven't been able to grow sunflowers for a while but a few years back i had a weird one that i wish i had kept the seeds from in order to grow more like it.
it was very tall, at least 10 ft before the head drooped, but besides the big flower head on top, it also had many smaller ones along the main stem.

has anyone seen this before?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,319,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i haven't been able to grow sunflowers for a while but a few years back i had a weird one that i wish i had kept the seeds from in order to grow more like it.
it was very tall, at least 10 ft before the head drooped, but besides the big flower head on top, it also had many smaller ones along the main stem.

Did it look anything like the monstrosity that grew in my backyard? It sprung up out of nowhere in the middle of my amsonia.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM

409 posts, read 869,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

I have. I think the height of the sunflower plant depends on where its planted. I had one that grow to 7 or 8 feet which had alot of flowers on it. It was in a area that got a lot of water, sun and the soil was soft enough so the root could dig deep. I planted the same seeds in less ideal area: all day sun, drier, hard soil, and the sunflower only grew to around 3 or 4 feet.

Every year I try to grown sunflowers with mixed results. Out of a whole packet of seeds I got just two plants going. Nether one has flowered yet but one got to be 7 feet and its still growning. Its madding when I can't get them to grow yet they grow freely in vacant lots and on the side of roads.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Did it look anything like the monstrosity that grew in my backyard? It sprung up out of nowhere in the middle of my amsonia.

That is a monstrosity. LOL

Nice pumpkins by the way.

UH the ones in the picture.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,873,831 times
A sunflower popped up, literally, through concrete, in a parking lot close to my house. It was beautiful. Someone knocked it down. . . so sad . . . the flower was broken off and the stem is left . . . will it ever grow back?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 AM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
I never have any luck growing sunflowers. I'd like to have a few of the tall ones( about 6 feet) grow at the back of the garden along the house but they never come up. I had one scrawny one about 3 feet tall come up inside the morning glories that had one little flower on it. The soil is good and the sun is all day. My neighbor has them along his garden fence in the backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden