Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,407 times

Advertisements

Another question, is it a good time to plant roses in the fall or it's better to plant in the spring? HD have some knock out on sale that I have a space for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
General rule of thumb: if your garden center, nursery, home center, green houses have them for sale, it's generally the right season.
They would not carry inappropriate plants, trees, shrubs for the time of year which might die or be returned to the store.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Another question, is it a good time to plant roses in the fall or it's better to plant in the spring? HD have some knock out on sale that I have a space for.
You should be fine if you get them in early enough. I would not let them bloom much by trimming them down and cutting off new growth and blooms. This way the plant focuses on storing energy for the winter and promoting new root growth. Make sure to dig the hole 2-3 times larger than the container and do a 50/50 mix of organic compost. I would then cover the entire root ball area with a 2-3inch thick layer of mulch. make sure to keep the mulch 6-8 inches away from the base of the plant.
Water profusely.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
General rule of thumb: if your garden center, nursery, home center, green houses have them for sale, it's generally the right season.
They would not carry inappropriate plants, trees, shrubs for the time of year which might die or be returned to the store.
Well not exactly. Remember the whole reason they are selling plants is to make money, that is their first priority. If they bought a ton of stock they are going to do what ever they can to get rid of the merchandise before it starts to die off even if it isn't exactly the right time to plant certain species.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well not exactly. Remember the whole reason they are selling plants is to make money, that is their first priority. If they bought a ton of stock they are going to do what ever they can to get rid of the merchandise before it starts to die off even if it isn't exactly the right time to plant certain species.
The BigBox stores only carry seasonally. And you'd be amazed what they throw out. They can't even mark it down or give it to employees. They do factor in the annual P & L acceptable loss in this department.
They aren't going to make money if the plants die at homes or are returned, plus their rep will tank.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:03 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Generally the "box" stores and a lot of nurseries carry many perennials and shrubs over the whole growing season. This means you can buy the same roses in mid summer which is, of course, the worst time to plant (especially in the mid and deep southern parts of the country). The sales are to encourage people to buy up the remainder of the warehouse and store stock when they would be planting. Those gardeners might have been planning on one bush and end up getting 2 or 3. Even at a discounted price this makes more money for them than if they either carried over the stock (not box stores, but garden centers and some nurseries) or had to dump their remaining stock (box stores).

Happehart right now is a great time if you plant them right away! Prepare the soil first (as BulldogDad said) and pay attention to water needs while it still is warm and they should start to take root before going dormant. Dead head but don't prune- you don't want to get a lot of new growth which will be more susceptible to freeze and frost damage. You can prune, if needed, come spring time just as you would with the one in the ground.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 PM

983 posts, read 2,542,407 times
Thank you all.. It finally stopped raining so hope by Sunday it won't be too muddy to go out and prepare my new flower bed. I love roses and knock out seems to be good fit for a beginner like me.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
The BigBox stores only carry seasonally. And you'd be amazed what they throw out. They can't even mark it down or give it to employees. They do factor in the annual P & L acceptable loss in this department.
They aren't going to make money if the plants die at homes or are returned, plus their rep will tank.

Not when I worked for Target Corporation as a District Manager in Assets Protection before starting a landscape company. The Garden Department was constantly marking stuff to clearance to push it out the door at the end of a season. Obviously there was a cut off date for annuals but if a perennial was still alive it stayed until it was sold, clearanced out of stock or died.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Not when I worked for Target Corporation as a District Manager in Assets Protection before starting a landscape company. The Garden Department was constantly marking stuff to clearance to push it out the door at the end of a season. Obviously there was a cut off date for annuals but if a perennial was still alive it stayed until it was sold, clearanced out of stock or died.
They still do that, a least they do here in Houston. Many of our plant nurseries do a little better job at stocking at the right time of year. Personally, I prefer going to a nursery over a big box store. Its a little more money but also seems to be a little better quality too.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
They still do that, a least they do here in Houston. Many of our plant nurseries do a little better job at stocking at the right time of year. Personally, I prefer going to a nursery over a big box store. Its a little more money but also seems to be a little better quality too.
I agree. However understand that many times the big box store is getting product from the same vendors as nurseries. Unless of course they are growing some or most of their own stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden