Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,227,420 times

Advertisements

Dear Heights,
Look up on the roof into the gutters, sometimes there will be backup on the side where the skeeters collect. Also, some rain gutters run out of the downspouts and then into a buried tubing, and that will get blocked underground, you could wind the garden hose up it until you hit it. You say no sun gets back there, so could be whatever is shading it has some water.
GG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,320,729 times
Mosquitos have been CRAZY in MD this year. Almost my entire body is covered in bites. I have a covered porch, and I had a lightbulb go off about a month ago...Outdoor Ceiling fans.

I think people have them because of the bugs. I'm going to have on installed in a week or so...so while I may not be able to do anything about the mosquitoes, maybe I can sit on my porch without being eaten alive.

You may be able to try a mosquito pheromone trap. I met a woman recently who says she uses a natural repellent that seems to work. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM

157 posts, read 575,688 times
I need to look into the foggers. Another thing that made a lightbulb go off is my neighbor. My yard backs up to unmaintained city property. I have yet to go back there, but I'm anxious to peek over when I get home. A call to the city might be in order. ALthough, I doubt they will do anything this late in the season.. it won't hurt to call. Until then, I will try a few of these ideas (except for the bat house- yikes!)
Thanks! I'll let you know what I find behind the fence.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 AM

616 posts, read 850,451 times
There's moisture in the area. eliminate that the skeetos are gone. check your drains. could be clogged with leaves creating a moisture bed for skeeto eggs.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,847,574 times
I too champion the use of the Mosquito Magnet. A single 20# propane fill will last 5 to 6 weeks and the results have always been phenomenal for living near a swamp in Minnesota. Our old Liberty (15 years) keeps an area of an acre or more clear enough to forgoe the bug spray. They are spendy but I don't think I've ever seen a review that indicated anything other than complete satisfaction.

We set up a bat house once that was quickly inhabbited by wasps.

Mosquito Magnet® Traps - Built on Science, Service & Support! | Mosquito Traps by Mosquito Magnet® | Mosquito Traps | Mosquito Control | Mosquito Control Products | MosquitoMagnet.com

Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,066,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I lived in Houston as a child in the 60's. Every so often in the summer a city truck would go down every street and through every neighborhood spraying DDT. It had a megaphone announcement that all citizens should close their doors and windows as it passed through. The trucks fogged everything.

Did a pretty decent job of keeping the mosquito numbers down.
I remember those trucks but not a warning to close your windows and doors.
Goodness!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,964,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I remember those trucks but not a warning to close your windows and doors.
Goodness!
The World Health Organization is again pushing to allow the inside use of DDT in Africa: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/15/AR2006091501012.html
They say that the benefit of reducing malaria would far out weigh any environmental problems.

I remember DDT in the 1950 and 60’s. We had a flood in 1955 and they used DDT to control the mosquitoes. I also worked as a maintenance man for a hotel when I was fourteen. They gave me a product called Cynogas (potassium cyanide product) to eliminate the yellow jackets. I would put a half teaspoon down the yellow jacket’s hole and stand upwind when I sprayed water on it - the yellow jacket’s would fall out of the air four feet over the hole. I guess that I was lucky that I was kicking up daisies! They were the good old days before Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring. There is a new debate raging about how Silent Spring saved the eagles but killed millions of people from malaria.

One quick question about the mosquitoes in Houston: How bad is the West Nile virus this year?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Mosquitos have been CRAZY in MD this year. Almost my entire body is covered in bites. I have a covered porch, and I had a lightbulb go off about a month ago...Outdoor Ceiling fans.
they are sooo much worse since hurricane irene and trop. storm lee dumped so much water in this region, and they were bad to begin with.

i had four big oaks knocked down that each left a nice depression to collect all that rainwater that came later. i finally got some BT dunks from amazon that cleared up the larvae from those pools, but it doesn't seem to have reduced the number i have to slap every time i go outside w/out putting on some spray. they will truly eat you alive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden