Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Never had boiled peanuts, Dusty tell us what you do to make them. I would like to try some, I love peanuts. Now you make me want to go get some.
They are addicting; but kinda messy to eat as the shells have to go somewhere, the only place i see them is roadside vendors along back roads of Georgia and Florida..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:12 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,995,119 times
Thank you both for the link to both buy boiled peanuts. However; I am waiting for the OP to post their recipe. I would not mind trying my own hand at this fantastic snack.

Actually; I did look up recipes for boiled peanuts and it looks pretty simple - green peanuts washed in their shells, salt and water and 7-½ to eight hours in the crock-pot on high. They have a few different recipes for the Cajon nuts. Also; boiling and then simmering on the stovetop takes a lot less time and salt. If I get my hands on some green peanuts; I’ll give it a try.

I used to travel from Carlisle, PA to Florida three times a week on a sleeper team. Boiled peanuts and Larry’s Giant Subs always kept my wheels turning!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 AM

13,976 posts, read 25,840,888 times
Make your own:
A harvest of peanut snacks for fall *| accessAtlanta

It wasn't a good harvest this year, so feel free to take my share. I hate the things.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,798,928 times
I was given boiled peanuts once. They were good at first but after a couple of days I think they turned rancid. How long should canned boiled peanuts last?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:30 PM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I was given boiled peanuts once. They were good at first but after a couple of days I think they turned rancid. How long should canned boiled peanuts last?
i would think they'd keep at least 2-3 days in the fridge if not longer. my only experience is with small cans that got eaten up right away.

the problem with boiling them yourself is finding green peanuts in the first place. i live on an [arguably] southern state and have only seen them in a single store. i even tried boiling my own without bothering to research it at all [meh - boiled peanuts, how hard could it be?] and they were ok, but would have been much better with longer boiling time, more salt, and allowing them to steep awhile after boiling.

dang, this thread has me planning a trip to the korean grocery to see it they have any green peanuts in stock..

Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,806,966 times
Boiled Peanuts are actually quite easy to fix, they just take a long time. I normally start with at least 3 pounds of raw peanuts in a large, very large pot w/lid. Start with a pound of salt and one poblano or ancho pepper. You'll have to keep adding water, it takes most of a day to cook a batch. Bring to a boil and adjust heat to keep it boiling but not vigorously. As the water level goes down add more water, continue to add salt to taste. (Boiled Peanuts are notoriously salty) as a rule of thumb, cook until the shells get soft. I have a propane gas camp stove on my back porch, my wife won't let me cook them in the house. (she is not a fan of boiled peanuts, she is a nurse and other nurses she works with ARE fans, and have been asking when my first batch will be forthcoming.) After cooking all day, I normally start a batch early in the morning, then cut the heat way down and let them sit all night. Keep checking on them and add water as necessary, and it will be necessary quite a few times. subjective I know, but, they are ready when they taste right. When they get just the proper sogginess. Affictionados know what I mean.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,995,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Boiled Peanuts are actually quite easy to fix, they just take a long time. I normally start with at least 3 pounds of raw peanuts in a large, very large pot w/lid. Start with a pound of salt and one poblano or ancho pepper. You'll have to keep adding water, it takes most of a day to cook a batch. Bring to a boil and adjust heat to keep it boiling but not vigorously. As the water level goes down add more water, continue to add salt to taste. (Boiled Peanuts are notoriously salty) as a rule of thumb, cook until the shells get soft. I have a propane gas camp stove on my back porch, my wife won't let me cook them in the house. (she is not a fan of boiled peanuts, she is a nurse and other nurses she works with ARE fans, and have been asking when my first batch will be forthcoming.) After cooking all day, I normally start a batch early in the morning, then cut the heat way down and let them sit all night. Keep checking on them and add water as necessary, and it will be necessary quite a few times. subjective I know, but, they are ready when they taste right. When they get just the proper sogginess. Affictionados know what I mean.
If we cannot find green peanuts; can we used roasted? I have a feeling the answer is no. I have not seen any recipes for boiled peanuts from roasted.

Thanks for the recipe Dusty Rhodes.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,201,914 times
I was at a local farmers' market and one guy had them going in his crockpot with the two usual flavors. Tried the regular. They were ok - texture's similar to mashed potatoes. Don't think I'd ever go out of my way for them.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,806,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I was at a local farmers' market and one guy had them going in his crockpot with the two usual flavors. Tried the regular. They were ok - texture's similar to mashed potatoes. Don't think I'd ever go out of my way for them.
This I understand, odds are, unless you grew up eating boiled peanuts you probably will not enjoy them. If you did grow up eating them, you will think of them as "wonderful". There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,448,448 times
Boiled peanuts are THE best. They are popular in Hawaii too (I never had them before moving here!). I don't know what it is but I don't normally like peanuts and I eat them all the time boiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden