U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,636,982 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have dead bermuda grass lawn in our back yard, and was wondering what is the best way to remove it? My husband is allergic to bermuda grass, so we used some herbicide and killed it. However, what we forgot at that time, is that the only thing my husband is more allergic than bermuda grass is dry grass!!!So, we want to get rid of it as soon as possible. Would tiller work when it comes to breaking the ground and digging the roots out? I figured we could rake the grass once it's loose, but I'm not sure would this method actually work. Thank you for your answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,831,338 times
Sod cutter videos.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM

885 posts, read 1,416,516 times
You can also till it under

Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,636,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
You can also till it under
How do you mean till it under? Thank you.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM

386 posts, read 211,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
How do you mean till it under? Thank you.
Would that be planting seeds, so to speak?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,168,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
Would that be planting seeds, so to speak?
Yes it would.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 AM

885 posts, read 1,416,516 times
Did it seed? I assumed it was a clipped-out wad of thatch - which could be tilled with a tractor

Better not to follow my advice however, rather than risk seeding...

Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 PM

341 posts, read 937,776 times
In my attempts to kill bermuda to create beds, I learned spraying it with a grass killer doesn't work. It yellows, but does not kill, the grass or even weaken the roots. Tilling just churns the grass into the soil, but doesn't remove the grass. The roots would be easier to remove, though, than spraying.

It really depends on how much and how quickly you need to remove the grass. If you need to remove an entire yard immediately, hiring someone to cut and remove your grass may be best, but won't be cheap.

What's worked best for me is to overlay two sheets of newspaper over the grass I want removed and put mulch on top. This kills the grass naturally over 2-3 months by suffocating the roots. Then dig up the dead roots.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 AM

25,626 posts, read 33,724,687 times

Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM

7,483 posts, read 8,118,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hi everyone,

We have dead bermuda grass lawn in our back yard, and was wondering what is the best way to remove it? My husband is allergic to bermuda grass, so we used some herbicide and killed it. However, what we forgot at that time, is that the only thing my husband is more allergic than bermuda grass is dry grass!!!So, we want to get rid of it as soon as possible. Would tiller work when it comes to breaking the ground and digging the roots out? I figured we could rake the grass once it's loose, but I'm not sure would this method actually work. Thank you for your answers.
If you haven't done anything with your yard yet, I would wait until spring to do something with it. I would rent a rototiller and do a thorough job of tilling the yard. You might want to add lime, cow manure mushroom manure, peat humus, etc. If you have clay soil, gypsum is supposed to help break it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden