Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times

Advertisements

Gardenia, nicotiana, and lilac...heavenly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I have a large number of hosta plantaginea and always love to cut a few flower stems for indoors; mine are very fragrant!
Take three or four stems, put them in a vase, and the room is filled with the scent--similar to lilacs or hyacinths!
Oooh. Sounds like I have a lot to look forward to as the clumps expand.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Oooh. Sounds like I have a lot to look forward to as the clumps expand.

Yes indeed
As was previously mentioned, this particular species is sun tolerant.
Also, I'm in zone 7 and they're just blooming now!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
We have a yellow knock-out rose - it is very fragrant (while all our red knock-outs have little fragrance). Our jasmine shrub smells heavenly.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
If I lived in a climate that would support it, I would grow wisteria everywhere and anywhere -- so showy and fragrant!
In my neck of the woods, wisteria only flowers very briefly for a couple weeks in early spring.

But yes, it smells delicious!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Night Blooming Jasmine is one of my favorites.

My house would be saturated with an almost incense like smell in the evenings.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
lily of the valley for drained moist shade.
rubrum lily. Sun at tops, shaded, very well drained moister soil at base.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I too selected many plants for fragrance in my yard, and learned that not all are fragrant the way I expected. For example, my mock orange is not fragrant up close, but from about ten feet away it is heavenly. My fragrant snowball is marvelous, but only when I am near -- and many of the snowballs are not fragrant at all.

I LOVE the Winter Daphne, and it is best about four - six feet from a walkway, because it can be too strong.

Not all lilacs are fragrant. My pale lilacs in front are very fragrant, but the darker lilac that moved in to the yard from under the fence (though prettier) cannot be smelled at any distance.

My William Shakespeare rose from David Austin is a great one for fragrance, and there is a yellow rose at my back fence that I've lost the name and it is divine.

The lilies are overpowering, but left outside they are nice. I love my Dianthus in the spring -- and so do the Western Tiger Swallowtail. The honeysuckle have a mild fragrance from a distance, but next to the plant I cannot detect it at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Honeysuckle is one of my favorite fragrant flowers but it's not like you have to do anything to grow them, lol. When I lived in the country my yard was surrounded with honeysuckle and when that was in bloom and the fireflies came out it was heavenly.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm revisiting the old thread for an update.

2. Tuberose. I planted three of these, but they're all foliage, and no flowers to speak of and it is already August. I planted them pretty early because of the unseasonably warm weather.
My neighbor gave me some tuberose last spring. They didn't start to bloom until September, and then it was only one stalk. This year they came back (a bit bigger, too), and bloomed like crazy. I had eight bloom stalks by late June. They smelled SO good. I now have three more, with the first one getting ready to open. A word of advice: Keep some staking material handy. My bloom stalks started falling over when they got heavy with flowers.

I have them planted in full sun on the southern side of the house. However, my neighbor has not gotten hers to bloom once. She has hers planted in a less sunny area, so she will move hers next spring to see what happens.

I'd suggest leaving yours where it is, and see what it does next year. Here's a picture I took on July 2:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden