U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM

3,600 posts, read 11,278,263 times

Advertisements

Time to start the 2012 planting plan! I am just itching to get my hands in some dirt and get some color back in the planting beds!

I've got a west facing driveway bed that needs plants and a whole fenceline along the back that needs to be dressed. I've pretty much decided on foxtail ferns for the driveway bed but I'm juggling ideas for the back. The area faces north with afternoon sun and is close enough to the pool for that to be a consideration. The bed runs around 40 feet long and is around 10 feet deep. I'm thinking of Photinia as a foundation shrub but would love some ideas for some perennial color scattered around the bed.

I'm not thinking of anything too formal looking but it needs to be tidy so I'm not forever skimming parts of it out of the pool.

Any ideas? Anyone else starting your garden plans yets?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,783,878 times
Just do me a personal favor: Do not plant red tip photinias. Please.

There are already at least 96 million too many of them in America. They are ugly, disease prone, and in favorable conditions will get 5 stories tall.

Please, plant something else.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,745,063 times
LOL go Azoria! Well, I created an entire page of gardening plans for 2012! I am so excited and can't wait for the gardening threads to get hopping again.

Veggie Garden - Thinking of doing a lot more PARSLEY for the mostly-herb garden. Doing Big Mama tomatoes from Burpee. And the remaining purple podded beans. I ate one of the pumpkins and it was GOOD...so in spite of squash bugs...I may plant pumpkins, too.

Woodland Garden - I have at least 75 saplings to plant for various natives/edibles. I am going to require helpers. I am also considering planting my culvert w/ native grasses/bog plants that can withstand salt and flooding. Currently thinking inland sea oats. Planted woodland seeds and hoping to see them next year.

Wildflowers - I am attempting to establish native perennials in the eastern part of the property. Pulling invasives and sowing seeds for two years. Hopefully I can see a lot of nice surprises in 2012!

Backyard flower beds - I started flowerbeds with grassy "paths." I am adding new perennials to fill out one of the beds.

Hedgerow - I am investigating evergreens for the hedgerow facing the road. I'm planning to have landscapers install these, but picking the variety of evergreens is exciting.

New Gardens - Shade garden and wood's edge garden. Lighting and pathways to be included, but still in the planning stages.

Slopes - I enlarged the slope garden...Planting on slopes can be challenging so on the new section, there are going to be a whole lotta stella d'oro daylilies!

Old Gardens - Of course there are new plants I am dying to get...planning to include a couple in the existing beds.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM

3,600 posts, read 11,278,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Just do me a personal favor: Do not plant red tip photinias. Please.

There are already at least 96 million too many of them in America. They are ugly, disease prone, and in favorable conditions will get 5 stories tall.

Please, plant something else.
Nope - I wouldn't want red-tips. I like the chinese variety. They are hardier, fuller and easier to contain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
LOL go Azoria! Well, I created an entire page of gardening plans for 2012! I am so excited and can't wait for the gardening threads to get hopping again.

Veggie Garden - Thinking of doing a lot more PARSLEY for the mostly-herb garden. Doing Big Mama tomatoes from Burpee. And the remaining purple podded beans. I ate one of the pumpkins and it was GOOD...so in spite of squash bugs...I may plant pumpkins, too.
I'm swaying back & forth on putting in some veggies in raised beds this year. I love 'em but just not sure I can spare the space or how well they would do

Woodland Garden - I have at least 75 saplings to plant for various natives/edibles. I am going to require helpers. I am also considering planting my culvert w/ native grasses/bog plants that can withstand salt and flooding. Currently thinking inland sea oats. Planted woodland seeds and hoping to see them next year.
Wow!~ Now that sounds very pretty! Would love to see a pic when you get it done!

Wildflowers - I am attempting to establish native perennials in the eastern part of the property. Pulling invasives and sowing seeds for two years. Hopefully I can see a lot of nice surprises in 2012!
I wish I had the land and energy to do this. Its enough for me to just keep the weeds out of my lawn!

Backyard flower beds - I started flowerbeds with grassy "paths." I am adding new perennials to fill out one of the beds.
That also sounds really nice. What perennials are you putting in?

Hedgerow - I am investigating evergreens for the hedgerow facing the road. I'm planning to have landscapers install these, but picking the variety of evergreens is exciting.
LOL - and expensive

New Gardens - Shade garden and wood's edge garden. Lighting and pathways to be included, but still in the planning stages.

Slopes - I enlarged the slope garden...Planting on slopes can be challenging so on the new section, there are going to be a whole lotta stella d'oro daylilies!
I love Stella d'oros. One of my favorite lillies. I'm thinking of trying Star Gazers here but not sure if they can stand up to the heat and humidity.

Old Gardens - Of course there are new plants I am dying to get...planning to include a couple in the existing beds.
I'd love to see the pics when you start some of your ideas!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Woodland Garden - ....
Wow!~ Now that sounds very pretty! Would love to see a pic when you get it done!

The plants and trees should be fairly unimpressive for several years, but I can post pictures.

I wish I had the land and energy to do this. Its enough for me to just keep the weeds out of my lawn!
I generally ignore weeds in the lawn. It frees up a lot of time.

That also sounds really nice. What perennials are you putting in?
Phlox paniculata and yellow echinacea.

LOL - and expensive
Worth every penny, I think. I use the landscapers to put in the bigger items so I don't have to wait for them to grow. I am planning to spend about 2K...maybe spread out for a year or so.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM

379 posts, read 744,976 times
Love the title of your post / thread

Rubbing hands together with glee!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,946,157 times
I am soooo totally jealous! Moved from a planting zone 9 to a zone 2 and could just spit! I'm perplexed every year!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Aww :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I am soooo totally jealous! Moved from a planting zone 9 to a zone 2 and could just spit! I'm perplexed every year!
OMG zone 2?! Hmmm, maybe if you post the location someone can provide tips for plants. I think there's at least one gardener in Alaska (too lazy to Google the zone, but it sounds cold.) on the forum someplace.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,577,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

This all sounds so wonderful. Any chance you could clone yourself and come give me a hand with my 28 acres? Please.

So many times while living in CA on a postage stamp sized lot I day dreamed about all the things I would do when I hand more land. Now I'm retired and the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Not to mention that the darn goat will eat anything planted out in the pasture area. At this point I'd be pretty happy if I could get just the couple of acres surrounding the house done. And of course many of the things I loved best in the Bay Area are not hardy enough for this region.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
This all sounds so wonderful. Any chance you could clone yourself and come give me a hand with my 28 acres? Please.

So many times while living in CA on a postage stamp sized lot I day dreamed about all the things I would do when I hand more land. Now I'm retired and the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Not to mention that the darn goat will eat anything planted out in the pasture area. At this point I'd be pretty happy if I could get just the couple of acres surrounding the house done. And of course many of the things I loved best in the Bay Area are not hardy enough for this region.
No waaay! 2 acres is almost too much to garden on!

But I feel so wonderful because I believe I'm helping mother nature. But there is no way I can do it all by myself. Maybe you can do what I do:

1. Landscapers - There's a local guy I hired to put in some trees. We're all hurting in the not-so-hot economy, and I bet you can get a company to do big jobs for a decent price.
2. College helpers - I put ads in student newspapers. College students can do a lot of work. Plus, living out in nowhere I enjoy meeting new people sometimes.
3. Family - My family came to help out planting, and they're always volunteering to help.

If I had 28 acres, I'd be ecstatic! I know how you feel about warm-weather plants, though. I am still learning a lot about plants that grow and are almost as beautiful in my zone.

I would LOOOVE to grow stuff like guava trees and bougainvillea LOL, but I'm learning to love the native plants for my zone, plus I am making evergreens my friends. It is still a little desolate looking outside...sigh. Two more months til Spring, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or