Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM

77 posts, read 281,444 times

Advertisements

Rite now the sprinklers are close to the wall, and the wall gets really wet, which is causing a damage to the wall, one of my friends suggested me to move the sprinklers away from wall, I have 7 sprinklers.

I have no idea how to do this Job? But I am wiling to try on my own to save some money.

Please provide your opinion ?

Is it difficult ? what kind of tools will I need ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Have you ever done plumbing repair before? How handy are you? How far back to you want to move them? Could replacing the spray head with a different spray pattern solve the problem?

A few photos might help.

You need to dig up around the sprinklers to see how they are attached to the irrigation system. Is it PVC or galvanized?

If its PVC a little reading on sprinkler repair ala youtube and a few trips to home depot should help you solve the problem. If its galvanized you might want to refer to a professional landscaper.

Tools depend on the type of sprinkler pipe. But you will definately need a good shovel. A trenching shovel and pick mattock will make things much easier.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
As said above ^^ you may have the incorrect sprinklers and need to replace them with the correct pattern that sprays away from the wall.. That would be the easiest solution.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM

I think I am ok with doing this kind of work, Just to give you an Idea, I am adding some pics...I hope it helps. There are 3 sprinklers along the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving sprinklers away from wall-img_4598.jpg   Moving sprinklers away from wall-img_4599.jpg   Moving sprinklers away from wall-img_4600.jpg  

Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Cutting, repairing, reconfiguring PVC pipe is really easy. Watch a few videos here and you will see how easy it is. pvc sprinkler repair - YouTube

Rainbird has some good guides here http://rainbird.com/homeowner/educat...ationguide.htm

If the sprinkler heads currently in place spray 360 degrees in all directions, you might want to replace them with heads that spray in only 180 degrees, so you can orient them to spray only away from the wall. See models on this page http://rainbird.com/homeowner/produc...MPRnozzles.htm

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-14-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Before you go moving heads and such have a reliable irrigation contractor come out look at the heads. First to make sure they are the right type of heads, second make sure they are adjusted correctly. If a simple adjustment is needed your problem is solved.

If you move your heads you run the real good chance that coverage isn't correct and you have a whole different set of issues. I am guessing they heads are not the right type and (or) not properly adjusted.

Edit:
Looking at the pictures, it looks like more of an adjustement issue and not a head placement problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks for your replies,
First of all, Do you think sprinklers should be so close to the wall ever ?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_sam View Post
Thanks for your replies,
First of all, Do you think sprinklers should be so close to the wall ever ?

Ok now that I see your pictures it makes sense. If you want grass up to your wall yes it makes sense to have the sprinkler there.

1. Does the head spray directly onto the wall or is it a misting over spray that hits them.

2. Anytime you use spray heads you will get over spray. The only way to eliminate this is to move the heads about two feet away from the wall. However then you will have a dead space and have to irrigate a different way. I suggest creating a planter along the wall and plant some shrubs to block that ugly block wall. Espaliers will also create a nice affect along the wall. Irrigate the plants with a dip system. Easy to install.

3. I still think you have nozzle adjustment issues. Make sure you have the right nozzle for the area you are trying to water 180/half circles on straight aways etc....

4. Those look like rain bird heads and you can purchase replacement nozzles at Home Depot, Lowes, etc... for about a buck a piece.

The guides CptnRn provided are a good place to start for an quick education on sprinkler construction.

I don't believe, as was recommended above, that you need a landscape contractor to look at your system now that I see the pictures. As long as you understand that it is going to be a learning experience and might not come out perfect depending on your skills at projects using your hands.

Get to digging, just becareful to find the pipes first before going full bore so you don't create more issues to fix.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok now that I see your pictures it makes sense. If you want grass up to your wall yes it makes sense to have the sprinkler there.

1. Does the head spray directly onto the wall or is it a misting over spray that hits them.

2. Anytime you use spray heads you will get over spray. The only way to eliminate this is to move the heads about two feet away from the wall. However then you will have a dead space and have to irrigate a different way. I suggest creating a planter along the wall and plant some shrubs to block that ugly block wall. Espaliers will also create a nice affect along the wall. Irrigate the plants with a dip system. Easy to install.

3. I still think you have nozzle adjustment issues. Make sure you have the right nozzle for the area you are trying to water 180/half circles on straight aways etc....

4. Those look like rain bird heads and you can purchase replacement nozzles at Home Depot, Lowes, etc... for about a buck a piece.

The guides CptnRn provided are a good place to start for an quick education on sprinkler construction.

I don't believe, as was recommended above, that you need a landscape contractor to look at your system now that I see the pictures. As long as you understand that it is going to be a learning experience and might not come out perfect depending on your skills at projects using your hands.

Get to digging, just becareful to find the pipes first before going full bore so you don't create more issues to fix.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_sam View Post
Awesome
Let me know if you have any more questions.

As a Landscape Contractor I can tell you with the utmost confidence it is a fairly easy task that you are contemplating. The fear of the unknown is the biggest issue you have. Plus it will give you a better understanding of irrigation systems in general and save you money down the road. Goodluck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden