Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM

310 posts, read 1,353,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
This is a little off topic, but just 2 days ago I was talking to a coworker about lilacs. He said he was told that lilacs only flower every other year. I grew up in Colorado with lilacs in the backyard. We must have had 10 of them. I don't remember a bush going without flowers. Anybody know anything about every other year flowering?
I know in Illinois, where i'm originally from, they flower every spring, not every other spring. I think it depends on the type and where you live. I love lilacs, they are so beautiful. Had a huge line of lilac bushes that blocked the view of the fire station next door at my bf's mom's house. The people who live there now cut them all down! Such a shame.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM

310 posts, read 1,353,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower54 View Post
kiwifruit2....I've lived in TN for 8 yrs..moved from NY and loved my lilacs. The house that we bought here already had 2 lilac bushes in the yard and they bloom every year.I trim the bloom off every year. I started a new one from a runner, so I'll see what happens this year. The only thing I find is they don't stay in bloom for long. BUT they are lilacs. Good Luck!
You got lucky! Good to know. Even if they don't bloom long, they are gorgeous and smell so good!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
This is a little off topic, but just 2 days ago I was talking to a coworker about lilacs. He said he was told that lilacs only flower every other year. I grew up in Colorado with lilacs in the backyard. We must have had 10 of them. I don't remember a bush going without flowers. Anybody know anything about every other year flowering?
I believe they bloom on old wood, so if someone pruned them at the wrong time, they would need to wait for two years for flowers.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,738,664 times
Lilacs will grow in some parts of Tennessee and not others so location matters. All of Tennessee is not exactly the same, it has very distinct changes in elevation and geography effecting weather and temperature conditions. What can do well in Bristol may die in Memphis. A local microclimate change can make that slight bit of difference for a cool area plant to make it in a warmer zone.

There are a handful of lilac varieties that have a somewhat biennial bloom, alternating years will be sparser and heavier in bloom. Gentlearts is right about pruning too late. You wind up cutting off the growth the plant puts in for next year's bloom if you wait very long after this year's bloom, it sets its buds very quickly. If you prune it too late you will not have blooms the following year.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,892,074 times
There are some variety of lilac which will grow in a warmer climate, look for a Descanso Hybrid type and it should do fine even if the winter doesn't get that cold where you are.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,997,184 times
Here in northeastern PA I share a grove (100’X 200’) of lilacs with and adjacent property. It was an old homestead that vanished many yeas ago. The soil is usually very damp where they thrive. The little valley that they live in is very fragrant in the spring.

I also do not think the grove is doing as good as it did thirty years ago. My feeling is that our thin topsoil and acid rain are starting to take a toll. Also; the trees surrounding the grove grew taller and cast more shade on the lilacs.

To the best of my knowledge; they have bloomed every year. Pruning does not seem to hurt them - since many have been cut and brought in our house and neighbor’s houses.

My thinking is that they would do better in the hills of TN. Especially; if you were close to water. Of course I am not familiar with all of the other varieties and I have only passed through your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden