Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM

8 posts, read 15,168 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Now we are planning to remodeling our house, especially the fence and carport.

My friend is a designer, he designed a fence+planter in my frontyard, but don't know how to attach it here. The rectangular planter is very long, about 5m, and 2pcs, then intall picket fence on the outer edge of the planter. I like it very much. But I'm not sure that is feasible, that means I need to pay much for the goods, soil, maintenance and many other things. So I wonder do you have any suggestions about that design?

About the carport, we'd like to buy a pergola and put it before our garage with planters. Will that be greatful?

Thanks, everyone!

Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyliu0909 View Post
Hi,

My friend is a designer, he designed a fence+planter in my frontyard, but don't know how to attach it here. The rectangular planter is very long, about 5m, and 2pcs, then intall picket fence on the outer edge of the planter. I like it very much. But I'm not sure that is feasible, that means I need to pay much for the goods, soil, maintenance and many other things. So I wonder do you have any suggestions about that design?

About the carport, we'd like to buy a pergola and put it before our garage with planters. Will that be greatful?

Thanks, everyone!

Amy
The designs can be endless here. Just be careful with front fence height as far as City codes. You can even grow vegies and plants year round here.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Moved to Garden sub-forum for a better response.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyliu0909 View Post
Hi,

Thanks, everyone!

Amy
How knowledgeable is the "designer" about construction. It sounds like this is a wood planter. Did the designer include a foundation for the planter and a liner to protect the wood from the soil and moisture inside the planter as well as the ground? If not it will probably rot out fairly quickly, even if made from treated wood. Do you have termites in the area that will be attracted to the wood?

A pergola can be an attractive addition depending on how it is done. It also could rot out fairly quickly if it is not constructed with the right materials and not detailed properly. Unprotected wood usually turns black with mold and weathering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Will that be greatful?", perhaps you meant "will it be appreciated?". Again it depends on how well built it is, how attractive and low maintenance it is.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
How knowledgeable is the "designer" about construction. It sounds like this is a wood planter. Did the designer include a foundation for the planter and a liner to protect the wood from the soil and moisture inside the planter as well as the ground? If not it will probably rot out fairly quickly, even if made from treated wood. Do you have termites in the area that will be attracted to the wood?

A pergola can be an attractive addition depending on how it is done. It also could rot out fairly quickly if it is not constructed with the right materials and not detailed properly. Unprotected wood usually turns black with mold and weathering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Will that be greatful?", perhaps you meant "will it be appreciated?". Again it depends on how well built it is, how attractive and low maintenance it is.

Thanks very much, like that. It's not wood, we want to use composite materials like pvc and fiberglass, what do you think of it?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The designs can be endless here. Just be careful with front fence height as far as City codes. You can even grow vegies and plants year round here.
Hi, thank you! I've attached the design, what do you think of that?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Lots of maintenance issues and the potential to look weedy and unsightly. Very small growing area for pergola vines. Mature plants will be root bound in no time and need to be constantly watered in hot weather. It just seems like too many busy looking structures and not enough natural yard. Do you have bad soil? Is that the reason for the above ground planters next to the fence instead of shrubs that would soften the look of the fence? I'm not particularly drawn to plastic or fiberglass either - overall, I am not loving the design or the maintenance issues.

Why not use natural plant material instead of all those things being built?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Lots of maintenance issues and the potential to look weedy and unsightly. Very small growing area for pergola vines. Mature plants will be root bound in no time and need to be constantly watered in hot weather. It just seems like too many busy looking structures and not enough natural yard. Do you have bad soil? Is that the reason for the above ground planters next to the fence instead of shrubs that would soften the look of the fence? I'm not particularly drawn to plastic or fiberglass either - overall, I am not loving the design or the maintenance issues.

Hi, Cattknap, thanks for your suggestion.
1. About the planter beside the planter, I want to buy 20"L*14"W*12.5"H, 6~8pcs, is that enough for growing the vine plant?
2.Actually, the design Fence+Planter is my friend's idea, he thought that's creative, but I'm not sure of that. The soil here is not so bad, so you mean the planter is unnecessary?
3.I just want the material that doesn't need much maintenance, so they suggest composite materials, I've saw the vinyl and fiberglass planters and fence in Lowe's, that seems good.

Oh, wether my pergola in San Diego needs roof? My mother said that it doesn't essential because the weather here is not bad, do you have any suggestion?

Amy

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

^ I agree with these comments, the pergola plants will probably not do well enough to grow very large in those small pots.

The plants along the fence would be healthier in the ground instead of in planter boxes.

Zoning set back requirements in many communities do not allow you to build pergolas or even that little gate structure in the fence, within 25' of the street, and fences are limited to 3' or 4' high. Talk to your building permit office to find out what they will allow. There is a good chance that you property lines do not go out all of the way to the sidewalk, so you may not be able to build a fence that close to it. Check where your property lines are located.

I can't see any indication that anyone suggested your pergola needed a roof. You must have misunderstood something.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
That really isn't a carport. A carport is sheltered from the sun and rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden