Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM

16 posts, read 20,354 times

Advertisements

random, but it interested me when i saw these cool watermelon flowers. onion flowers are cool also. both smelt amazing. any favorite vegetable/fruit flowers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM

3,738 posts, read 12,374,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykiwi View Post
random, but it interested me when i saw these cool watermelon flowers. onion flowers are cool also. both smelt amazing. any favorite vegetable/fruit flowers?
For me, nothing beats orange blossoms.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,673,537 times
Wow!!!!! What a wonderful spring already huh????
I have been spending so much time outside I am barely here on the forum... great feeling that sunshine!
Enjoying the time clearing & prepping the ground for my spring landscape...

OK... fruit trees, DD is trying to start her apricot seed... earning $50 if that seed starts up to 6" tall, a good initiative for her.
I am growing me some "Asian type" veggies & fruit (gourds & z like)... daikon, chinese kale, marabar spinach, yu-tsai, bottle gourd, asian eggplant.
Other "normal" vegetable is also being started...
Starting Morning Glory & Marigold for some awesome blossom.... talking about that, my Lilacs are budding... some pretty smelling flowers soon.

So far... I have snow drops, crocuses & I see daffodils peeking out as well...
I loooove spring!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 PM

845 posts, read 1,345,909 times
Cherry blossoms are one of my favorites. My ultimate favorite, though, are Sunflowers.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,614,929 times
Lilacs and cherry blossoms are my favs, but don't grow either.

But I am excited to see how well 2 new plants go this year. I am trying "Peter peppers" and OSU Blue tomatoes.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Wow!!!!! What a wonderful spring already huh????
Spring? Really?

The weather forecast here for the next 5+ days is 40F-45F rain mixed with [wet] snow and on into the future.....

I've been in Seattle four years. We do not get spring. Every year everybody says how unusual the weather is, how abnormally cold and wet, and how spring is usually so nice, and that this really isn't normal.

But for the four years I've been here it has been cold and wet till the end of June. 40F and rain in November. 40F and and rain in May. Last year we never broke 70F till the end of July.

I've never lived in such a godawful place. Even the daffodils are giving up the fight and keeling over....I planted hundreds of daffodils last fall with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head....they've come up and fallen face down in the cold mud. They're finished for this year.

F.O.U.R Y.E.A.R.S
Global warming? Where?!

And every year in Seattle I keep hoping that next year will be the normal I keep hearing about.

Spring. Harrumph. I give up.

Last edited by azoria; 03-17-2012 at 02:47 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
Sorry Azoria! *cries* A couple of my relatives in the Seattle area, and it seems ferns grow really well there. Maybe you can grow gigantic ferns or something else that likes cool, wet weather?

Veggie flowers? I like squash flowers because you can eat them!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,930 times
There is no visual clue that cantaloupe are ripe, but, when ripe they emit the wonderful aroma of fresh cantaloupe. Then.....the trick is finding the one you smell.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,636,357 times
I just spent a lovely sunny afternoon at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. One plant I saw that was really different and pretty was a euphorbia. I also planted my square foot garden today. March 15 was the last frost date here.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,614,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Spring? Really?

The weather forecast here for the next 5+ days is 40F-45F rain mixed with [wet] snow and on into the future.....

I've been in Seattle four years. We do not get spring. Every year everybody says how unusual the weather is, how abnormally cold and wet, and how spring is usually so nice, and that this really isn't normal.

But for the four years I've been here it has been cold and wet till the end of June. 40F and rain in November. 40F and and rain in May. Last year we never broke 70F till the end of July.

I've never lived in such a godawful place. Even the daffodils are giving up the fight and keeling over....I planted hundreds of daffodils last fall with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head....they've come up and fallen face down in the cold mud. They're finished for this year.

F.O.U.R Y.E.A.R.S
Global warming? Where?!

And every year in Seattle I keep hoping that next year will be the normal I keep hearing about.

Spring. Harrumph. I give up.
Look on the bright side, you can grow a TON of things I can't down here. LIke colder weather veggies.

I have to work like crazy to look stuff from burning up, that you guys pulls off easily, like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and other hardy veggies like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden