Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times

Advertisements

Well, first please nobody laugh at me...

I was told yesterday by my neighbor that he saw a snake slither across my driveway, into my grass and into a hole in my yard. I think this is the hole that once had the For Sale sign for my house.

He called it a "band" snake and said he didn't think it was dangerous but he wanted to let me know because they saw snakes last summer, including one in their garage. I assumed they were around since we have a small wooded area behind our houses but didn't see any last summer or even think they could get into my garage. I looked up "band" snake and nothing came up so now I'm thinking I might have heard him wrong and maybe he said "brown" snake. Anyone heard of a "band" snake?

So...my questions...
  1. Should I fill the small whole in my front yard with dirt so the snake will stop camping out there? Or, will it just burrow through the dirt? Sorry...I don't know snake behavior.
  2. Is there anything I can do to dissuade the snake from coming into my garage (or any other area around my house, if possible)?
  3. Having never encountered a snake...what should I do if I see one? Obviously, walk away but what if it is really close? I know there are dangerous snakes in this area and I'm now terrified I'm going to step on one in my grass.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I used to feed my python mice and rats...wrong advice.

Some folks spread a copper sulfite around. Soem say it don't work.
I would probably go with spreading some non-toxic substance that is either sticky or smells like another animal. That might convince Mr & Mrs snake(s) to relocate to area where the sent of the bigger animal is no present?

If you see a snake, just walk away. There aren't that many eager snakes looking for human companionship. Remember to walk away slow if it is a big snake and you are not sure if it is poisonous.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Snakes go where the food is.
In our case, when the chipmunk populations is high.
When the food goes, the snakes go.

I personally am, glad when the snakes come...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Maybe your neighbor meant a ring-necked snake, which have a ring around their neck as the name implies. That might be where the "band" reference came from. They are quite common. My dh has picked them up to show our kids over the years, and my cats have caught a few. I've even picked up a few baby ring-necks and moved them out of the way of the cats, and they never bothered me. They are educational for kids.

Diadophis punctatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something to think about, snakes eat rats and mice, especially the larger snakes like rat snakes. Would you prefer to have rats and mice or snakes? Well, I suppose might some prefer rats. Not me though, I'll take snakes any day. Garter snakes are also common and eat mice etc. The smaller snakes eat things like slugs. Unless you live somewhere that highly poisonous snakes live, I wouldn't worry about snakes in your yard. You said you have poisonous snake in North Carolina, but rattlesnakes etc. don't typically slither into garages. Snakes do not want human contact anymore than you want contact with them. But if you want to research venomous snakes and how to discourage them from moving into your yard, here is a link specific to N. Carolina. But unless you live in the country I doubt you really need to worry too much.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...svdRzzNu3KH5VQ

Old 03-15-2012, 01:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
FIRST, you buy a Mongoose........

Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
This article might be helpful. How to keep snakes away from your home

I was reading that a product called Snake Away works too. Here's a short you tube video of someone applying the stuff. Snake Away Repellent Application - YouTube

Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
It went in that hole to get into dirt so that it can find a way under your house to get in...

Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
It went in that hole to get into dirt so that it can find a way under your house to get in...
Thanks alot! That will help me sleep tonight.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM

831 posts, read 680,325 times
If you're lucky enough the snake may end up being a female that is pregnant and lays her eggs there and then you'll have plenty of little ones too, i cant think of a better reason why a female snake would burrow in that hole. Males dont normally do that. GL HF with that.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
1: take a DEEP breath.
2: learn what venemous snakes look like...venemous snakes in NC are: copperhead, cottonmouth, coral snake and a couple different rattlers.
these are all very distinct looking snakes, so learn what they look like...
3: if its not one of the above listed snakes, LEAVE IT BE! snakes are increidbly beneficial animals, they are worth thie rweight in cold when it comes to keeping rat, mouse and vole populations under control.
4: if it IS one of the above listed snakes, Unless it is a direct threat to you LEAVE IT BE, snakes, even venemous are incredibly beneficial, you WANT snakes in your yard, consider it an honor.

if your finding bold venemous snakes, whenever possible back away carefully, a snake will only stirke if it thinks your food or it absolutly has to (defense) give it its space and for the most part itll leave you be.
familiarize yourself with the habitats of choice for venermous snakes (the biggest risk is realy cottonmouths as they are the boldest), and either remove those habitats or leave them be...these spots are generally wood and rock piles, long grass around watering holes ect. none venemous snakes also like these kinds of hiding places to.
provide a snake safe spot...choose a spot at the back or least used corner of the property and make it snake zone, hed much rather live in a rock pile than your basment...so give him a rock pile to keep him way from the house.
Snakes love to bask (which is why there commonly found in driveways, blacktop is like snakey central heat) so provide at least one big FLAT rock in sun neer the snake safe area where he can sunbathe.

deter snake from around the house by 1: removing the food source, snakes will go after rodents primarlily but small birds, eggs, lizards and frogs/toads can also be a part of a snakes diet...so rodentproof your house, block any hole you can find (wire wool is great for this but you will want screen/fencing or something more perminent too)...a snake wont stay anywhere unless theres a deacent food source. so deter the food source to deter the snakes. Mothballs generlaly help repel not only moths but rodents, insects and reptiles...so it might be worth stuffing some mothballs into any little cracks and holes you find before covering them.

Snakes have such a bad rap, and seeing one can be a little unnerving, but remember, they are GOOD things to have around, they help control disese spread by controling rodent populations

last but not least, never handle ANY snake, all snakes can bite (even if none venemous) and how would you like it if some huge alien being came and swooped you up...youd freek out too...
plus trying to handle a venemous snake is just fodder for the darwin awards.
if your EVER confronted by a venemous snake and backing away isnt going to work (ive never known of a snake CHASE someone but just incase) a shovel is the best best, strike hard, preferably to the head/back of the head if possible...
killing a snake shoudl ONLY be done if there is a direct and unavoidable threat...i would NEVER kill a snake as a first choice...we need more snakes!

i hope you and the snakes can live comfortably together. they realy are amazing creatures when one takes the time to understand them...
oh, and snakes are attrakted to WARMTH, so be sure to put some kind of wire mesh over your dryer vent...this is a very common spot for snakes to find their way into homes because there attracted to the heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden