Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM

438 posts, read 1,698,889 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this picture link is going to work...hopefully it does. Anyways, I am hoping someone can help me with a lawn problem! Every winter I have patches of grass that turn white like this picture attached of my front lawn. It's almost like it's dead grass, but it comes back and turns green in the spring and summer. Any suggestions? It is always in the same spots too, I can't figure out what it is or what to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Grass Help!-img_4429.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
You didn't say where you live so this is a stab in the dark. The picture is a tad blurry but it looks a lot like Bermuda grass. Bermuda grass is considered a warm season grass, meaning it grows in the summer and does well in heat but goes dormant as soon as night time temperatures drop to cool levels. When it is dormant it turns a kind of hay color (gray/tan). Here in the south it stays dead looking all winter but as soon as it gets warm it recovers and out competes anything in the yard. In more northern climates it can survive but will probably be less of a take over artist.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 AM

Whoops, sorry, we live in the suburbs of Chicago Illinois. Not sure Bermuda grass could grow in our climate and soil? Or is it possible the previous owner spot seeded with bermuda grass seeds or a different type of seed or something? Here is another picture...this is a larger area right next to the spot I took the last picture...there are also spots like this in the back yard...it looks dead but it always comes back...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM

102 posts, read 601,589 times
Sorry to answer your question with another question, but when it is green, is the texture/look consistent with the other grass in your lawn?

My guess just looking at the picture is that you've got Nimblewill. The best way to get rid of that is dig it out.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums View Post
Sorry to answer your question with another question, but when it is green, is the texture/look consistent with the other grass in your lawn?

My guess just looking at the picture is that you've got Nimblewill. The best way to get rid of that is dig it out.
I just looked up Nimblewill and that is exactly what it looks like! When it eventually does turn green, it is a different shade of green then the rest of the lawn...It seems like I have to dig it up which I was afraid of...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
The second picture and location make nimbleweed more likely but they do look quite similar. Good call Tyronne.

Here's a good help to ID it for sure and how to get rid of it.

http://extension.psu.edu/greenindust...weed-factsheet

Digging will be ongoing since leaving even the tiniest speck behind will grow new weeds. If you are persistent about it eventually you will get it. I've done that with Bermuda grass in the garden, over and over, and they have a lot of the same habits. A combination of digging and weed killer probably is the best bet.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Hmmmphhht. Learn sumpin new everday.

Looks a lot like Bermuda. If its as aggressive then I would suggest killing it off with glyphosate during the heavy growing season. Plan on replacing it after it is completely dead as well as about a foot of grass around each patch.

That's how we treat Bermuda here in California. Except more aggressively as Bermuda can take over a whole lawn in 2-3 seasons.

Good article Em. I just printed a copy for our weed and pest binders in the office.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone...also J&EM great article. I was able to order some Tenacity online too...Does anyone know if I can apply Tenacity in The Spring?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
Thanks everyone...also J&EM great article. I was able to order some Tenacity online too...Does anyone know if I can apply Tenacity in The Spring?
Follow the manufacturer's directions. Different herbicides have different application parameters.

My guess is though that the smaller the weed the more effective it will be. So at the beginning of the growing season, whenever that might be for your area

Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 PM

So I picked up some Tenacity to try and get rid of the nimblewill in my yard. It is insanely warm for Mid-March here in Chicago..when can I apply Tenacity? I was thinking of spraying the whole yard with it. Does anyone know if I will need/or have to use another Pre-Emergant or do I only need to use Tenacity? Can I fertilize after I apply Tenacity or should I wait?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden