Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Oh! I might rethink the morning glory. It can get out of hand so easiliy! As for the rest... I love when you see the garden come to life for the first time.!

Yah! I read that Morning Glory spread like wildfire & hard to kill post... thus reserving them to the very far wall of that stone patch (since really nothing is growing there) away from my main garden & landscape area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Really very nice, but I am concerned about the mold/mildew/rot that you are going to get on that wooden trim adjacent to the mulch.

I don't understand about the wood trim & adjacent to what mulch???? Can you please clarify??? I don't want rot/mold/mildew either.

I haven't mulch my landscape yet.. and my mailbox post is very much away from the house by itself wayy in the corner... nor does it have any wood trim attached to it... just a pressure treated post that can be very easily replaced if needs be (and DH is thinking about stone facade for it).

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I am always too tired to go back out and look at it......after the shower, I head for the Tylenol.

I have never heard of a banana bush.....

Happy spring and happy planting everybody!
LOL for reals. I am recovering now from transplanting a big juniper I accidentally planted in a too shady area. LOL I am dying from all the work, and putting in the ad for student helpers in a couple of minutes. I am so so so sore, and there's way too much to do by myself.

I still have a million daylilies to transplant. Not to mention the mulch to spread and the beds in the front to edge. I am trying to find a new landscaper, as well, since I'm still not recovered from the trees I planted during the break.

I transplanted a few of the peonies, and I am so psyched for summer so I can enjoy the flowers. I A d O R E peonies.

OP, you are so LUCKY. I am jealous of CDers who are in warmer climates. I did hear about the "banana" shrub from someone else, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to smell one someday.

The garden looks lovely...for second there, I thought the daisies were primroses, but I suppose those wouldn't do well in Texas(?). Lotsa luck w/ the new landscaping. I'd like to see more photos after you guys get the mulch down.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
LOL for reals. I am recovering now from transplanting a big juniper I accidentally planted in a too shady area. LOL I am dying from all the work, and putting in the ad for student helpers in a couple of minutes. I am so so so sore, and there's way too much to do by myself.

I still have a million daylilies to transplant. Not to mention the mulch to spread and the beds in the front to edge. I am trying to find a new landscaper, as well, since I'm still not recovered from the trees I planted during the break.

I transplanted a few of the peonies, and I am so psyched for summer so I can enjoy the flowers. I A d O R E peonies.

OP, you are so LUCKY. I am jealous of CDers who are in warmer climates. I did hear about the "banana" shrub from someone else, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to smell one someday.

The garden looks lovely...for second there, I thought the daisies were primroses, but I suppose those wouldn't do well in Texas(?). Lotsa luck w/ the new landscaping. I'd like to see more photos after you guys get the mulch down.
Tried Primrose the first year we were here. They fried Even Petunias can't last during our summers. Its best here to stick to native perrenials or transplants that are tried & true. Gerber or Gerberia Daisies do exceptionally well in our climate. I wish we could plant peonies. They are by far my favorite all time plant & flower Once again...here in SE Texas...they would fry!

Todays project...some verbena, some yarrow, two more foxtail ferns, one Iceberg rose and 2 double Knockout roses. Mulch is ordered but it won't be here until Monday. I'm keeping DH busy cutting in all the front beds. One of these days we will decide on a good edging. Until then...nothing beats a half moon spade for getting a good bed edge! More pictures coming tomorrow...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Can't wait for more posts!!!
I love the inspirations of spring from your side.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Default 10 yards of mulch and an aching back

My back aches my hands are blistered but I really feel I accomplished something today. The whole back yard is now mulched!
Attached Thumbnails
new plants! :)-allamanda-after-mulching.jpg   new plants! :)-back-house-after-mulching.jpg   new plants! :)-roses-after-mulching.jpg   new plants! :)-yarrow-verbena-after-mulching.jpg   new plants! :)-mulch-pile-after.jpg  

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Very nice Va-Cat!
Great looking "environment" created via hard work in the pics.

I know how you feel w/ that "satisfaction" (body, mind & soul... not to mention that eye candy happi moments) from all that hard work one put into our gardens.

I did some clean up yard work yesterday in the cold (removing old rotted firewood from the backyard)... and felt awesome after looking at the slightly "cleaner" back yard & dreaming of that nice forest path w/ a gazebo (like inspired from one of the paintings we have in the house). Our first spring in this house... so quite a lot to do yet.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Very nice Va-Cat!
Great looking "environment" created via hard work in the pics.

I know how you feel w/ that "satisfaction" (body, mind & soul... not to mention that eye candy happi moments) from all that hard work one put into our gardens.

I did some clean up yard work yesterday in the cold (removing old rotted firewood from the backyard)... and felt awesome after looking at the slightly "cleaner" back yard & dreaming of that nice forest path w/ a gazebo (like inspired from one of the paintings we have in the house). Our first spring in this house... so quite a lot to do yet.
I appreciate the encouragement!! We just moved into this house last spring. Its landscaping hadn't been shown any "love" for many, many years. I've dug up and pulled 14 dead stumps from the beds so far and I'm not done yet! Prior owners just planted around things when they died.

I love a groomed landscape but ours is still a bit bare. If I bought everything that I have in my mind for the planting beds, we'd be broke and I'd be dead from trying to get everything in the ground in a timely manner.

Would love to see some of your accomplishments as they are completed!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I appreciate the encouragement!! We just moved into this house last spring. Its landscaping hadn't been shown any "love" for many, many years. I've dug up and pulled 14 dead stumps from the beds so far and I'm not done yet! Prior owners just planted around things when they died.

I love a groomed landscape but ours is still a bit bare. If I bought everything that I have in my mind for the planting beds, we'd be broke and I'd be dead from trying to get everything in the ground in a timely manner.

Would love to see some of your accomplishments as they are completed!
Hahahah...
I feel your sentiments in the above bold, if I get to buy everything I want whenever I go to the nurseries & be very berry broke... we can forget about "eating good" <-my utmost passion = eating.

I will try to post some pics (maybe the daffodil patch in my front etc.) but unlike you... my land is mostly "wildscape" = surrounded by woodland acres w/ tons of 100yr ol trees & many many shady spots & not much sunny spots even where my house is at, also have many leaves & branches & old firewood to get rid of yet.. this spring & mayhap a few more years... we'll not be done I fear.

But promise you... I'll work on them pics.

P.S. Just got back from more yard work... making a mini brick flower box by z tree & sowing some wildflowers in it.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM

^^^Took some pics of my daffodils, leaves of the snowdrop & crocus, and that ground cover I mentioned... BUT I cannot even post pic. anything.

Right clicked on the "paperclip" & that "landscape stamp" icon... says "insert image" & then "Nothing".
Left click & it gives a whole list of "save images", "copy images... etc."... still nothing.
And I have posted pictures on here before in the photography section...
I wonder whats up with why my buttons don't work.
Hmmm... strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden