U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM

2,383 posts, read 4,801,931 times

Advertisements

Again, thanks for all the comments. Loropetalum varieties are very popular around here, but I'm a little afraid of 'em. Everything seems to grow faster and taller in this climate, and the loropetalums are no exceptions. Since yours truly will be the one who does the pruning, I'm holding out for low and slow. I'm also concerned I'll end up with a landscaped wall appearance, rather than individual free-form bushes.

Our local nurseryman called yesterday, to say he was getting in a new shipment of Abelia Kaleidoscope, which (according to him) have become very popular with the area landscapers. I've never heard of 'em, but their marketing guys do a nice sell-job on their website - Abelia 'Kaleidoscope' - and they also seem to satisfy my wish list pretty well. Anybody have any experience with 'em? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,495,586 times
Nice varigation on the leaves. I've seen them but haven't planted any.

There are cultivars of Loropetlums that stay compact like Abelia Kaleidoscope.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
We need to replace the landscaping shrubs located directly in front of our home (see pic below). We've talked with our local nurseries but haven't come up with anything that meets our preferences. If anyone has any suggestions, we'd love to hear 'em.

- Planting zone 8, coastal SC with sandy, well-draining soil.
- Irrigation is available
- Eastward facing, with often intense sun during the morning, then shaded by the house
- Maximum 2-3' height, free-form shape that does not require frequent pruning
- Maintains leaf presence all season
- Flowering (other than white) is fine but not a requirement.
- My LW does not want knock out roses or encore azaleas.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Has anyone recommended native deciduous azaleas? There are cultivars which are fragrant, and which are shorter than others. If you'd enjoy these, I'd recommend Meadowbrook nursery (Meadowbrook Nursery: Ed Egan Yellow Deciduous Azalea)

You can do a search on the site, but a couple of 3 ft shrubs appear below:
http://www.we-du.com/azaleas/azahybmill.html
http://www.we-du.com/azaleas/azaspehho.html

Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Has anyone recommended native deciduous azaleas?
Thanks for your feedback, but deciduous doesn't work for us in this particular location. I luv native azaleas in the right location, but I'm not sure they would survive the intense morning sun this location gets.

Thanks to everyone for their help and feedback. My LW has settled on the Abelia Kaleidoscopes. I envision a busy Easter weekend.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,495,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks for your feedback, but deciduous doesn't work for us in this particular location. I luv native azaleas in the right location, but I'm not sure they would survive the intense morning sun this location gets.

Thanks to everyone for their help and feedback. My LW has settled on the Abelia Kaleidoscopes. I envision a busy Easter weekend.
Pics when done please. It's the least you can do.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Pics when done please. It's the least you can do.
Oops, sorry. Haven't been back in here since I got all the good help last year. We've been very pleased with the abelia. They are slow growing (I luv it!) but we really like the color and the free-form shape. I think they're going to grow in nicely to the space we have for them.

In fact, my wife liked them so well, earlier this week I was assigned to yank out some hawthornes that had never done well and drop in 3 more abelias. It will be a little bare this year, but hopefully will fill in okay. Happy Easter everybody!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,354,925 times
Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden