U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 4,467,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OMG, it isn't rocket science. Go buy the appropriate Scott's, for(my kind of grass) plus weed killer and put it on the lawn. What part of this is hard?
Sorry. I'm with the OP. I did whet you are suggesting tor 2 years. My grass last year was brown. And in spite of using weed and feed I had terrible weeds.
I cut using highest setting. I have sprinkler system and spent quite a bit of money trying to green up.
I am going to try trugreen this year and see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,000,417 times
Uh... keep well-watered?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 9,771,820 times
Any lawn fertilizer but to get a darker green, make sure it includes 2% iron content. But under no circumstances let any of the fertilizer get on any concrete around the house. It will stain.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM

1,637 posts, read 5,024,339 times
Since you are new to the lawn process I would actually suggest you invest in a lawn service for the first year and see how it goes. I would look locally and avoid the larger chains. The local guys will often give you better service and match, if not beat the price of the others. After 7 years of doing the lawn treatments myself, we hired Trugreen to try them out for a year. I found the price to be similar to me doing it all myself. the lawn looked fine, but I was pissed when I happened to be home one day and saw them "applying" one of the treatments. We have a pretty large backyard and the guy did like 2 passes and left. He never got to the bottom of the yard and probably only covered about 25% of the lawn area. I ended up canceling our service and asked around for recommendations. Found a local place that was cheaper and we have been pretty happy with them. I will also say - if you want a really nice lawn, you have to work at it. Don't assume the service will take care of all your problems for you. They will come back if you call them to take care of stuff, but I find its just easier to keep a bottle of weed spray handy and if I see one popping up while I am mowing, I just spray it and move on...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,920,375 times
I always get the Scotts spring fertilizer with crabgrass control and put it down the first week of March. Now my lawn is a deep green (it's bluegrass) and ready for its first mowing. I've also watered it since we had zero precipitation in March this year. It rained/snowed 2 days ago, so it's moist right now, but it looks like I'll have to go ahead and turn on our sprinkler system.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM

588 posts, read 1,242,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I always get the Scotts spring fertilizer with crabgrass control and put it down the first week of March. Now my lawn is a deep green (it's bluegrass) and ready for its first mowing..

Wow, I am jealous that you are preparing for your first mowing. I think I have had to mow at least six times already (I am in the DC area). Granted, I am mowing pretty long, so it seems to need it more often. Right now, though, I am needing to mow twice a week because the grass is growing like crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or