U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 20,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
By chance does your invading vine look like this?

Field bindweed:
field bindweed, Convolvulus arvensis (Solanales: Convolvulaceae)
no, I will take a photo and thanks to all for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,086,419 times
Mine is more like a jungle vine of some sort... definitely no morning glory vines.
It criscross the woodland floors & climb up trees & eventualy smothers & kill the trees even... eek!
The make good ropes though... tough buggers.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,713,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly ocean View Post
Wow, thats exactly what I did as an experiment. I took a empty plastic water bottle mixed in some weed and vine killer, added some red food coloring so I could see a wet line stuffed the vine in the bottle and 4 days later it looks like a prune. the drawback is their must be hundreds of said vines sprouting up and to reach them I would have to walk over all the new flower growth. I will post a photo of the vine soon. BTY the vine does not produce any flowers. a note... we had a flood 2 years ago and the creek over spilled its bank and I believe the flood carried the seeds of this vine infestation.
Without pictures we could play guessing games all day. The fact that it doesn't flower and you suspect it came following a flooding incident might be a good clue, though. There are several invasives that can arrive that way including Japanese Hops, Chinese Yam/ Cinnamon Vine and Oriental Bittersweet. Descriptions and pictures can be found here as a starter: http://www.inhs.illinois.edu/researc...Weedsfinal.pdf

Purple wintercreeper is also a possibility: Purple Winter Creeper

Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 20,579 times
Default garden vine driving me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only ocean View Post
no, I will take a photo and thanks to all for your comments
here is a photo of the vine also this year I have an abundance of this weed that grows and will spread atop of everything, it has a velcro texture or sticky feeling. man am I in trouble

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/vettmaster/vine.jpg (broken link)http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/vettmaster/weedandvine.jpg (broken link)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/vettmaster/velcroweed.jpg (broken link)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/vettmaster/weedandvine1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,568,647 times
Your broadleaf vine is the morning glory as identified early in this thread.

The second weed isn't exactly a vine, I don't know the name of the stuff, but I call it sticky weed. It isn't nearly as overwhelmingly invasive as the morning glory. Sticky weed is annoying but controlable. Morning glory is 100X uncontrolably worse than sticky weed.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,713,416 times
Normally just seeing the broadleaf I would agree with Azoria but you mention that it doesn't seem to bloom and the leaf was not a perfect match. Another equally as miserable vine with similar leaves to your picture and such tiny flowers as to not be noticeable is called Wild Buckwheat or Black Bindweed. The Latin name is Polygonum convolvulus and you can see the slight differences in the following: vine weeds -or- Polygonum convolvulus page

The common name for the second one is Sticky Weed and some call it Catchweed.... both because of it's sticky hairs that act just like Velcro. LOL Azoria was more or less two for two without kn owing it. It is easily raked or hoed out of the ground but you should try and hand pull as much as you can before it blooms so it doesn't reseed again. Wear gloves because the sap can be very irritating.

Catchweed Bedstraw, Galium aparine | The Wisconsin Master Gardener Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden