U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM

878 posts, read 2,603,812 times

Advertisements

Looking for some colorful flowers to but in a beautiful round container. They will be in full sun outdoors. Are they easy...will they really die when it gets overly hot...please provide any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,374,536 times
Snapdragons are hardy and pretty. I like them and my opinion is all that counts.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM

well then I have all the info I need...lol

Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,429,864 times
I think snapdragons are part of the wildflower seeds I bought...
I love them as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 24,582,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Looking for some colorful flowers to but in a beautiful round container. They will be in full sun outdoors. Are they easy...will they really die when it gets overly hot...please provide any insight.
They can get a little tall, don't fill the planter too near to the top w/soil when planting. I love snapdragons as well, some get a little more busy but some really do get taller. They love full sun and should last you - in my area, the ones in the ground near the house come back after our winter(s).

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,435,966 times
Some years w/ mild winters our will over-winter...like this year. They just started blooming for us in the past week or so.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 AM

2,187 posts, read 4,230,073 times
Personally, I love Million Bells - they look like tiny petunias, they thrive in sun but make sure to keep them watered well, and they never need deadheading. Also, they don't seem to get as rangy and stringy looking like petunias. I love them in hanging pots as well and they come in many lovely colors. Happy gardening!!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 AM

Mission Bells...will have to look for them...thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

22 posts, read 33,479 times
Do you know the tip about creating a great container? Choose a thriller, spiller, and filler. A thriller is an accent plant, usually taller for impact. A spiller flows over the edge of the container, and a filler does just that - fill out the planting. A suggestion is purple fountain grass for a thriller, sweet potato vine for a spiller, and lantana for fillers. This is a bright combination for full sun.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM

863 posts, read 2,846,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenexp View Post
Do you know the tip about creating a great container? Choose a thriller, spiller, and filler. A thriller is an accent plant, usually taller for impact. A spiller flows over the edge of the container, and a filler does just that - fill out the planting. A suggestion is purple fountain grass for a thriller, sweet potato vine for a spiller, and lantana for fillers. This is a bright combination for full sun.
I love snapdragons, especialy the deeper magenta and almost "bronze" colors. Mind don't get beyond 6". I collect the seeds and plant the pots from those. Because they root in the pot, they are very hardy and survive if the heat well.

Dracena spike in green or purple is a nice (though common) thriller as well and very hardy.

I like the color combination of purple fountain grass, white petunias and chrystal palace lobelia in front of our house. But these days it seems to get hotter; the lobelia doesn't survive and the petunias get mangy. I've not had much luck with lantana and it can be hard to find. I'll have to try that combination. Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden