U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

208 posts, read 345,912 times

Advertisements

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/wholesalephil/grassyahz002.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/wholesalephil/grassyahz001.jpg (broken link)

the vine looking deal .

part II: if bad, how can i get a handle on it ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,712 posts, read 57,719,597 times
Looks like crabgrass. If so you have to use a non-selective killer like roundup and then replace any good grass that gets killed along with it. If it gets a strong hold it will take over and choke off the grass.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,496,331 times
Yep. I'd agree that's crabgrass.

Don't waste your money on the roundup though. Where there's crabgrass and no existing cover, you're doomed. Don't even bother.
I can see how much was growing there from last season.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 PM

40,388 posts, read 49,962,291 times
Read, learn, get to work...
What Does Crabgrass Look Like?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM

5,065 posts, read 14,111,698 times
Crabgrass is a nightmare to get rid of. There are special poisons just for crabgrass that doesn't kill regular grass, but I never had much luck with it. Every spring I do apply crabgrass preventer, twice in different directions, but I still end up with patches. And it spreads so quickly, too. In addition I spend hours all summer long just pulling the stuff up by hand. Between them and moles I'm at my wit's end.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,496,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Crabgrass is a nightmare to get rid of. There are special poisons just for crabgrass that doesn't kill regular grass, but I never had much luck with it. Every spring I do apply crabgrass preventer, twice in different directions, but I still end up with patches. And it spreads so quickly, too. In addition I spend hours all summer long just pulling the stuff up by hand. Between them and moles I'm at my wit's end.
Well you could start phasing out your lawn altogether. It starts by creating wooded areas and shade and using an alternative ground cover such as mulch. Crabgrass doesn't like the shade. But it does love sunny, poorly drained areas with little competition.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM

867 posts, read 420,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It's a killer to take care of.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM

7,200 posts, read 8,885,817 times
Crab grass is easy to get rid of (well relatively). It is an annual and thus comes back from seed every year, at least where there is cold winter weather. So, to get rid of it you need something like the active ingredient in Scotts Halts or Preen, but it must be applied just when the ground warms up enough for the crabgrass seed to germinate. Usually that is about 50F for a day or two. The active ingredient hericide binds to the soil, too, so it does not stay active very long, and you may need to use more than one application. Check with your turf care professional (sound so snazzy). Also, do not use on a brand new lawn as it will kill the good grass seedlings as well. Wait until the next year.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM

588 posts, read 1,240,991 times
Until summer before last, I had a yard almost completely made up of crabgrass. It was terrible! I wound up using a pronged "claw" to rip out all the crabgrass. It took weeks of daily work to rip it all out. I then reseeded my entire yard, covered it with that green biodegradable stuff, and kept it well-watered until I had baby grass, which I nutured until fall.

In the fall, I overseeded the entire lawn.

Last spring, I put out a pre-emergent (even though I am fairly anti-chemical). I had a few patches of crabgrass pop up in the summer, but I ripped them out. There really weren't that many patches.

It was a lot of work and quite expensive to "fix" my yard and rid it of crabgrass, but it does seem to be working. It is still too early to tell if I will have crabgrass this year, but I am hoping that my thick, healthy lawn will prevent much crabgrass from emerging. If it does come up, I'll rip it out again.

Good luck. Crabgrass is a total pain in the neck, but it isn't impossible to eradicate.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM

3,597 posts, read 11,002,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfil View Post

the vine looking deal .

part II: if bad, how can i get a handle on it ?
You are joking right?

Thats St Augustine GRASS.

I'll assume you are/were in the drought area and it died. All the "vines" are how the grass spreads. Rake up the dead stuff (yeh - it will rake up easily or with a little tug) and either re-sod or replace with Bermuda grass

http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/augustine.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or