U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM

25,459 posts, read 30,201,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I know first hand it has worked for some highly contagious people. I'm sure the issue is that there has not been a study with enough people (control/experimental grps) to determine the effectiveness. I can only tell you what I know and how it's helps those around me. But, for less than $20, I'm willing to try this year for myself. We'll see.
Poison ivy causes a contact dermatitis. It is not an infection and it is not contagious in the way that an infection is. Another person cannot develop a rash from contact with someone who has the rash, only from contact with the oil from the plant. That oil can be transferred from contact with anything with the oil on it: skin, clothing, pet fur. Burning the plant produces fine ash that can carry the oil through the air and be inhaled.

Doing the things in the Forest Service link is more likely to be a safe and effective way of trying to prevent getting a rash from poison ivy (or the other poisonous plants.)

If the product you are planning to try has landed people in the ICU, I do not think I would want to use it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...474.x/abstract

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-03-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,075,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Poison ivy causes a contact dermatitis. It is not an infection and it is not contagious in the way that an infection is. Another person cannot develop a rash from contact with someone who has the rash, only from contact with the oil from the plant. That oil can be transferred from contact with anything with the oil on it: skin, clothing, pet fur. Burning the plant produces fine ash that can carry the oil through the air and be inhaled.
I never said anything to contradict this above. I agree.

I'm just trying to build my immunity to poison ivy. I appreciate your concern, but I'm giving this a go. I talked in-depth with the compound pharmacist. I'm an educated adult and aware of the choices I am making. This was only a suggestion to those interested. To each their own. Thank you for caring though.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,911,020 times
This last 2 pages of posts is off-topic, since this thread is about what to do with the poison ivy itself, not how to treat an allergic reaction to poison ivy.

As to the OP's question, there's this pen-like device, that I used on the ivy in my yard. It's like this big cigar-container-shaped plastic tube, filled with ivy-killer, with a brush at one end. You give the tube a gentle squeeze, and brush -only- the ivy itself, from the ground to as high as you can reach (assuming you're finding it on trees).

What happens then, in around 4 days, is that the whole thing just dies. I am thankfully immune to poison ivy (I don't merely don't need to go to the hospital - I am literally immune. No blisters, no rash, no itch, no nuttin). So I just covered up - long shirt, long pants, gloves, sunglasses - as a precaution (since I know I'm -currently- immune, that doesn't mean I can't some day -not- be immune - no sense in taking an unneccessary risk). And yanked all the vines that I could grab onto. The others were too solidly stuck into the ground and up the trees - there were several that were over two inches thick and imbedded into the tree bark. On those, I used that ivy-killing pen brush thing.

I'm afraid I don't remember the brand of this stuff, but if you go into a garden shop and describe what I described, they should know what it is and if it's still available. There was enough stuff in the pen-thing for five infested trees and some was still left over. I also probably over-did it by "painting" too much of the ivy - you really only need to paint a couple of feet in length. But my husband is not merely sensitive to it, but he's actually allergic to it. So I didn't want to take any chances. I wanted this stuff dead.

As for the birds, they're loving the mulberry bush, and all those lovely earthworms. They're not missing out on a single thing, let alone the poison ivy.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM

33,142 posts, read 62,046,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This last 2 pages of posts is off-topic, since this thread is about what to do with the poison ivy itself, not how to treat an allergic reaction to poison ivy.
Well, you can't have one without the other!

Quote:
I am thankfully immune to poison ivy (I don't merely don't need to go to the hospital - I am literally immune. No blisters, no rash, no itch, no nuttin).
Yeah, that's what I thought. I used to roll in the stuff when I was a kid. But wouldn't you know when I tried pulling it out of my yard as an adult, bam! No one is immune forever.

And yes, Ivy Block does work!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,692,416 times
sorry havent gotten back here untill now, been crazy busy.
i do not KNOW if im allergic, i learnt the day we moved to the USA what poisenous plants to watch for and avoid them like the plauge because i do have a numebr of health conditions that can exhasperate allergies...and due to anothe rhelath condition cant use Epi...so i dont want to find out the hard way that im seriously alergic.

I have no misconseptions that il ever eradiacate it form the property...and i dont mind it (its pretty in the fall) as long as i can avoid it. the problem with this patch is its right in the exact spot the old shed that needs to be torn down is AND where i plan to build my chicken coop.
I do have goats, 2 of right now, but at 7 weeks old and not having the property fully fenced yet or being able to afford a portble fence yet, there not quite ready to help with irradication..i do knwo they like it, and oak and even sumak though so im sure as i progress with the property theyll help take care of any within browsing reach lol. (im more than happy for it to climb all over the trees on the outskirts of the property howver as a little extra tresspasser detterant lol)

i love my house...but with 4 of 4 1/2 acres to start clearing out, id rather spray the stuff thats activly in my way rather than hoping im not going to have a bad reaction lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden