Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

Bought a property in October, been left to go wild and of course that means plenty of poisen Ivy...
Im not too woreid about the stuff grwoing through my brush because the goats will eventually eat through all that...but ive got some growing in an area i want to start clearing out, as well as growing up a big old oak. so how can i kill it in the area i want to work in and up the old oak tree wthout killing the oak tree (i dont mind saturating the ground with a product because theres only privet groing there right now anyway and theats all got to come out too! and theres going to be a chicken coop wiht a solid floor built over the spot so no plans to grow anything right there for a good 10-15yrs to come lol.

Would roundup ust sprayed on everything in the area work or would that damage the oak tree too!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Spray it with some Ortho Brush-B-Gone (or another brand, just make sure the active ingredient is triclopyr). Just spray the leaves of the ivy, don't saturate the ground with anything. You can get some spray on the tree trunk, just don't get it on the tree leaves.

Roundup likely won't work, it works better for weeds and grasses.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Some people have serious allergic reactions to poison ivy. I had a friend that that would break out - even if somebody was burning brush, that contained poison ivy, even great distances away. I never had any problems and the few times I started to break out; I quickly got rid of it with a good washing. However; some people (that were not previously allergic) can still develop an allergic reaction later in life.

That said, if you do not suffer from sever reaction, could you mow your poison ivy? I mow what I can and then pull the vines out of the trees. If they are large vines; I rope them to the back of my garden tractor. I wear gloves and long sleeve shirts or jackets. I try to minimize my actual contact with the plant. Keep in mind that touching your gloves (that made contact) could start off the rash. Keeping the area mowed short will prevent the ivy from coming back. However, because of rocks or other vegetation; you might not be able to mow. The vines, that you pull out of your trees and bushes, you could compost - I would not suggest burning because of people in your neighborhood that could suffer from exposure to the smoke. You could also just mulch the vines with a good mower - if they are not too large. You can also use the string weed eaters to whack at the vegitation that cannot be reached by the mowers - again; just watch out that you do not get badly contaminated from the ivy (weed eaters tend to throw the pieces all over).

Go slow until you are sure that you don’t have problems.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Spray it with some Ortho Brush-B-Gone (or another brand, just make sure the active ingredient is triclopyr). Just spray the leaves of the ivy, don't saturate the ground with anything. You can get some spray on the tree trunk, just don't get it on the tree leaves.

Roundup likely won't work, it works better for weeds and grasses.
Agree. It may take three years of applications in the spring and Summer to kill it off completely. Poison ivy is very persistent. And, the Brush B Gone will do the job. I posted something else that has more of the same ingredient here a couple of years ago and I'll try to look it up when I am not using a touch pad device.

Yea, don't burn it. If you must cut it back, use vinyl gloves and toss them immediately and bag in plastic and put in garbage.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
Bought a property in October, been left to go wild and of course that means plenty of poisen Ivy...
Im not too woreid about the stuff grwoing through my brush because the goats will eventually eat through all that...but ive got some growing in an area i want to start clearing out, as well as growing up a big old oak. so how can i kill it in the area i want to work in and up the old oak tree wthout killing the oak tree (i dont mind saturating the ground with a product because theres only privet groing there right now anyway and theats all got to come out too! and theres going to be a chicken coop wiht a solid floor built over the spot so no plans to grow anything right there for a good 10-15yrs to come lol.

Would roundup ust sprayed on everything in the area work or would that damage the oak tree too!?
Congratulations Foxy! I was wondering if you ever bought the house.

Speaking of PO, I got my first bout of poison ivy last week...I get a relatively mild reaction, though.

I would personally leave it alone. Poison ivy is a native plant with benefits for the wildlife and ecosystem. As long as you can identify and avoid it, I'd recommend living with it as an alternative to spraying a bunch of chemicals.

I have a lot of a native plant called "touch-me-not" or "spotted jewelweed" growing wild all over my property. It is a native plant with a juicy stem and works like magic. I rub it on the spots if I get into contact with a poison ivy vine, and it clears it right up.

If you don't already have some growing in damp places, you can buy seeds online. It self-sows and is a great natural remedy.
http://www.sycamoreisland.org/articles/sa200009.htm
spotted jewelweed

Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Ortho MAX Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer works fine. I have woods in my back and poison ivy usually pops up every year. Spraying once with this stuff gets rid of it. They used to sell a can with a foam spray but I haven't seen it the past couple years.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Ortho MAX Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer works fine. I have woods in my back and poison ivy usually pops up every year. Spraying once with this stuff gets rid of it. They used to sell a can with a foam spray but I haven't seen it the past couple years.
That's the same stuff I mentioned, I think they may have changed the name. I'm using Ferti-lome right now, but it's the same 8.8% triclopyr.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Congratulations Foxy! I was wondering if you ever bought the house.

Speaking of PO, I got my first bout of poison ivy last week...I get a relatively mild reaction, though.

I would personally leave it alone. Poison ivy is a native plant with benefits for the wildlife and ecosystem. As long as you can identify and avoid it, I'd recommend living with it as an alternative to spraying a bunch of chemicals.

I have a lot of a native plant called "touch-me-not" or "spotted jewelweed" growing wild all over my property. It is a native plant with a juicy stem and works like magic. I rub it on the spots if I get into contact with a poison ivy vine, and it clears it right up.

If you don't already have some growing in damp places, you can buy seeds online. It self-sows and is a great natural remedy.
http://www.sycamoreisland.org/articles/sa200009.htm
spotted jewelweed

While poison ivy might have many benefits for our wildlife; we don’t want it growing where we will make contact with the plant. Last year I removed a pile of it that had overgrown my mother’s blueberry bushes. I did not want to use chemicals around the blueberries. Blueberries also have many benefits to our wildlife.

Nothing against nature. But; if you were an animal and had a choice between a blueberry bush or poison ivy vine; which would you choose? The best place for poison ivy is someplace that is out of our way.

PS Thanks for your poison ivy remedy. I’ll try that sometime.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,339 times
I have poison IVY right where I want to plant some perenialls. will this ortho b gone thing damage the soil so the perenials wont grow?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Poison ivy is a native plant with benefits for the wildlife and ecosystem.
Not looking for an argument, but I do wonder how wildlife benefits from poison ivy specifically....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden