U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,495,000 times

Advertisements

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,121,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
Absolutely. We had to have a silver maple taken out last fall. It was the biggest tree in the neighborhood. It had been in our yard for 5 years and well over 20 feet tall. It started getting sick at the base and the bark was splitting and falling off in large pieces. After having someone take it out by hand (his choice!), we discovered the tree had been planted at least 12 inches too deep by the builder and the wire basket had never been removed so the roots were girdled. So, I learned a lot about planting trees last year and what to do and not do. The red maple we put in is doing wonderfully.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM

8,158 posts, read 12,114,279 times
My personal experience is that burlap doesn't decompose fast enough. I suppose different soils and conditions may change that but after listening to the same advice and following it and then later having to dig something up for another reason and still finding intact burlap I would now never leave anything on the root ball. Period.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My personal experience is that burlap doesn't decompose fast enough. I suppose different soils and conditions may change that but after listening to the same advice and following it and then later having to dig something up for another reason and still finding intact burlap I would now never leave anything on the root ball. Period.
I've dug burlap out of the ground 5 years after planting and was still in pristine condition. I even took a picture of it so the event someone posts on a forum about it, I could post it. But I don't have that picture at hand at the moment.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 AM

956 posts, read 3,663,018 times
Treated burlap will last awhile, untreated burlap is normally pretty well rotted within a year.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Even if it rots in a year, there's still a big potential for air pockets when planting with it on, especially with wire baskets.

And if you don't remove the burlap, you're not going to be able to expose the root flare.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,568,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
NO! NO! NO!

Take the burlap off! Take off the wire basket and anything else.

Also.... This is important.....
B&B trees are dug by mechanical tree spades. In the process, up to 12" of additional soil can be squooshed up against the trunk.
So REMOVE ALL SOIL against the trunk until you expose the root flare.
Landscapers that don't remove the burlap, or the wire basket are one thing:

L-A-Z-Y

I've seen trees yanked out 10 years after planting that barely had roots protruding the burlap, which, by the way, was NOT decomposed!

The old stile "untreated" burlap rots fast. Most burlap these days is treated to prevent rotting in the nursery rows (which makes sense) before the tree is sold...but it has the added affect of not rotting when planted.

And DEFINITELY don't leave the rope/twine on!!

My husband and I have planted a lot of trees. We sit the tree down and cut away all the burlap & wire at least down to the part sitting on the ground. The roots grow mostly out of the sides of the rootball, so the bottom piece isn't a big deal.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,568,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Absolutely. We had to have a silver maple taken out last fall. It was the biggest tree in the neighborhood. It had been in our yard for 5 years and well over 20 feet tall. It started getting sick at the base and the bark was splitting and falling off in large pieces. After having someone take it out by hand (his choice!), we discovered the tree had been planted at least 12 inches too deep by the builder and the wire basket had never been removed so the roots were girdled. So, I learned a lot about planting trees last year and what to do and not do. The red maple we put in is doing wonderfully.
A builder took shortcuts on landscaping?

You don't say!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,706,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
Landscapers that don't remove the burlap, or the wire basket are one thing:

L-A-Z-Y

I've seen trees yanked out 10 years after planting that barely had roots protruding the burlap, which, by the way, was NOT decomposed!

The old stile "untreated" burlap rots fast. Most burlap these days is treated to prevent rotting in the nursery rows (which makes sense) before the tree is sold...but it has the added affect of not rotting when planted.

And DEFINITELY don't leave the rope/twine on!!

My husband and I have planted a lot of trees. We sit the tree down and cut away all the burlap & wire at least down to the part sitting on the ground. The roots grow mostly out of the sides of the rootball, so the bottom piece isn't a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
A builder took shortcuts on landscaping?

You don't say!
Its doubtful your advice will make a difference to the OP. The trees should have been planted by now since this thread was last posted in more than a year ago.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,459,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Wow who would have guessed burlap rootball trees would be a wedge issue for green industry professionals. Sounds like many of my weekly conversations over coffee at John Deere Landscapes with many of the local contractors.

To remove or not remove that is the guestion, Whether tis noble in the planting to...........
Funny when you read your previous posts from the distant past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden