U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM

3,597 posts, read 11,001,086 times

Advertisements

When we bought our home we knew that it needed a lot of love. I decided to take pictures so we could remember where we started. I'm glad we did! I took new pictures yesterday and had forgotten how different the front of our house looked.

Here are the orginal pictures from my post last year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...u-do-area.html

and I've attached the "after" pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
One year later...before and after-1front-door2.jpg   One year later...before and after-2front-left2.jpg   One year later...before and after-front-middle2.jpg   One year later...before and after-front-right2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,706,549 times
It was nice to see a true before and after of pretty much the same views. You did a nice job of cleaning up the yard in front of your home. Removing the overgrown tree that was too close to the front door was a good idea and the roses on either side was a pretty touch.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
It was nice to see a true before and after of pretty much the same views. You did a nice job of cleaning up the yard in front of your home. Removing the overgrown tree that was too close to the front door was a good idea and the roses on either side was a pretty touch.
Thanks! I especially love the smell the Banana Shrubs (Michelia figo) we planted. One is the large shrub on to the left of the front door and other 2 are on the right on the outside of the center bed. They are in bloom right now and our whole front yard smells like sweet ripe bananas! The line of smaller bushes in the center bed are Frostproof Gardenias. They are just budding and will be coming into bloom next month. I'm curious if they live up to their reputation for being less fussy than regular Gardenias. Of course the Double Knockout Roses and the Firecracker Bushes will be in bloom through the fall so I will have the almost year round color I was trying to create. I've been doing some research & if I can figure out a good planting spot, I might try a Camelia out front too. That would complete the look by giving its late winter blooms to the front landscape!

For right now though...We are going to take a break, sit back & enjoy our yard! I'll be posting the changes we made to the backyard too once I have the before and after pictures sorted. We made even larger changes back there!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,463,369 times
I see many of my suggestions were implemented. LOL

Looks really nice. You folks did a great job. I really like the minimalist approach you took.

However would look even better with those spiral junipers I mentioned a year ago.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I see many of my suggestions were implemented. LOL

Looks really nice. You folks did a great job. I really like the minimalist approach you took.

However would look even better with those spiral junipers I mentioned a year ago.
LOL thanks so much and yes thanks for the suggestions! We looked into the junipers as well as cypress. They just don't do well in this area. The only ones I've seen around here look very sickly. We decided it was best to go with what we knew would grow!

Its also not so much minimalist as recognizing what we planted are young plants. If we filled those beds now, in 5 years we would be ripping half of them out because it would be overgrown.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,589,031 times
I think it looks great! It's only been a year, so you're right, many of those plants will get much bigger.

The first year they sleep...
The second year they creep...
And after the third year they leap!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM

11,505 posts, read 18,170,080 times
Thanks for the update! Looks great!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM

74,878 posts, read 87,287,657 times
I love to see success stories. I know you worked hard to make your front a true showplace. It looks amazing.

Nita

Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,069,351 times
Love it! Love the Double Knock-Out Roses...a nice splash of color!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Love it! Love the Double Knock-Out Roses...a nice splash of color!!!
Thanks! - I'm waiting to see how the Gardenia bushes look when they come into bloom. I'm hoping that the pop of white across the center will be a nice accent against the lipstick pink of the roses and the red of the Firecracker Bushes. I love new plants and love seeing how they perform and bloom the first year! Its always exciting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or