Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 11,450 times

Advertisements

I recently found what I thought was ornamental strawberry plants growing in my yard where the rain water flows under the fence. Little yellow flowers, little bright red berries. I tasted a fruit, it was bitter, not a strawberry flavor at all! Actually tried three berries, in case I just got a bad one first. Nope. Not good wild strawberry like we used to pick in NW Arkansas when I was a child. Those had intense strawberry flavor. They were small, but oh, so good!
Now I know. I have an another invasive weed growing in my yard! (Tried to post a pic, but couldn't figure out how to get it in the http:// space.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
I think mine are similar. They have white flowers growing all around. Right now we are having a good rain. I wonder how my funny berries are doing....

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
I have them too growing by my garage.

I think instead of eating them... I think I can use them as "strawberry ice" since they don't taste of anything... just for a visual interest to any beverage I might serve.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think mine are similar. They have white flowers growing all around. Right now we are having a good rain. I wonder how my funny berries are doing....
It is almost time for them to reappear. The ones with white flowers are the Native American ones. They have a better flavor than the ones with yellow flowers.

They even grow up here in the Dakotas and are actually quite sweet. But they won't be ripe here until about July

Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Yes - the color of the bloom is the key to quick identification. Yellow flowers: little to no flavor. White flowers: fabulous! These are different plants in the same family and can appear quite similar, although the "real", white-flowered wild strawberries usually are larger than the insipid yellow-flowered wild strawberries.

So leave the little berries for the birds and squirrels, and make the most of the real thing, if you're lucky enough to have them on your property.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Seriously? LOL Yes! They are very safe to eat! Wild strawberries (from my experience) release their taste more when they're processed, than when they're fresh. It takes very few of them to add flavoring and fragrance to a dessert. They make amazing muffins and jam, although it does take quite a few to make a batch of jam. Try picking a few to make a compote, and serve over pancakes or waffles....mmmmm!
Oh gosh, yes! My mom used to spend her days combing the fields and pastures for wild strawberries, and used to make jams and syrups. The flavour was unbelievably intense after cooking. She tried making jam with store-bought cultivated strawberries. Once. It was awful in comparison....watery and flavourless.
I wouldn't add almond essence or anything like that to a strawberry jam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden