U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,322,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, but what if we had no such thing as killers for pests, etc. Think about the days prior to the discovery of a chemical to rid the cotton farmers of bull weavels? Most of us try as hard as possible not to depend on poisons of any kind, it isn't always possible, especially if you have a very large yard and/or garden.
I am very careful about the use of poisons as I have a certified butterfly garden but, sometimes, I have no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,572,073 times
I used Round up to try and get rid of weeds growing at the base of an oak tree. Couldn't avoid getting the stuff on the tree, but the tree didn't seem to mind.

Unfortunately the weeds didn't mind the Round up either. They didn't mind me ripping them out by the roots. They just kept growing back. I had to rethink my garden plan.

Definition of weed :A wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.

Those particular weeds have spread and are thriving and I now call them "native ground cover"

Old 04-24-2012, 04:12 PM

5,937 posts, read 13,682,553 times
I use Roundup, especially around areas difficult to mow, like along the fences. I also sprayed it around 20 of our pine trees, as it was difficult to mow. They lived and thrived.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 7,205,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I didn't really mean this thread to become a Roundup debate, I was just wondering about the pine trees.

I agree that I shouldn't have used Roundup. My yard is big, and this house was a foreclosure, and you can tell, because the yard is in bad shape. The lawn used to look like a hay field, there are dead tress all over the property, and like I said, there is a jungle of vines/weeds on the back. And to make things worse, the property that is behind mine is an abandoned farm (and there is no fence dividing them). This is where all the weed is coming from, and its now also beginning to take over my yard. Probably about 1/3rd of their property is covered in weed! Actually, their yard makes my yard look like Disney World. Anyway, this is the first time I have a yard, so I can probably add this Roundup episode to my list of newbie mistakes.

I actually did cut most of the weed myself, but after a few days of fighting against weed I decided to look for advise at Lowes, and they recommended Roundup for long term control.

Anyway, I guess I've learned a couple of lessons from this:

1) Avoid using Roundup near trees/shrubs/plants I care about. In fact, avoid Roundup if possible.
2) When you need advise on yard maintenance, go to CD, and avoid Lowes.
We have an acreage in the country too--an old farmstead that we've been restoring over the years. I understand exactly what you're dealing with. I use herbicides very very sparingly, but for big spaces like that, roundup is an acceptable option--I don't know what else you could have done.

I'm not sure where you live, but a big box store is the last place I'd ask gardening advice. Their garden center staff are usually seasonal at best with minimal training. Family owned nurseries make a living by providing good customer service, and the staff live, breath and eat plants. Another good option is University agricultural extension, or your local master gardener program (often organized through university extension). Your county extension agent can easily track down the numbers for you if you can't find them. Those programs offer a wealth of information, and it's the first place I go to find the info that I need. Most states have great websites with articles about a host of different gardening issues. If I can't find the answer I'm looking for on the University extension website, then I'll call the extension office to track down more.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM

10,092 posts, read 7,205,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is interesting, but I wonder what the measurements would be. I know amonia works also, but that is pretty damaging to the lungs if used in large amounts.
Just curious--should you be adding extra salt to the soil if it's an area you're going to eventually plant in? That could cause some problems later I'd think... It would probably work ok on sidewalks and driveways where you want to kills plants coming up through the cracks and gravel, but I don't think I'd add salt to a lawn or planting bed.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 PM

74,866 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Just curious--should you be adding extra salt to the soil if it's an area you're going to eventually plant in? That could cause some problems later I'd think... It would probably work ok on sidewalks and driveways where you want to kills plants coming up through the cracks and gravel, but I don't think I'd add salt to a lawn or planting bed.
what, amonia? I have only used it once, but have heard it works. The one time I did use it and this was in the days when we had no pesticides, etc (about 40-50 years ago) it killed the few weeds and a few insects that had gotten into our St Augusting grass, but other than turning the grass yellow for a week or so, it did no damage. I will add, the area was very, very, small.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,572,073 times
Quote:
what, amonia?
I've read that ammonia mixed with water is a nitrogen boost for plants. I spray my hostas with a mix of about half and half ammonia & water. It keeps the deer away from them and the hostas thrive on it.
Straight, the stuff is supposed to kill slugs if you spray it right on them, but I rarely see a slug in daylight and don't feel like rooting around for them at night.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 754 times
I've been having a problem with weeds growing between the pavers on my patio...did some research and found the most effective organic method of getting rid of them is white distilled vinegar..much prefer that to using commerical weed killer.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,276,729 times
Quote:
bull weavels
A cotton boll is a protective capsule around the seeds of cotton plants. The boll weevil (beetle) feeds on cotton buds and flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or