Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,555,520 times

Advertisements

I deal with weeds that will grow out of cracks in summer baked adobe clay that is as hard as concrete and just as dry.

I once thought that if you could get corn to grow like that you could wipe out hunger a thousand years.

Any whose.

OP the pine is probably gonna be ok. To kill a fully grown tree with round up youd need to inject it directly into the tree.

In the future rip down the vines before spraying.

I also recommend to chop down any weeds taller that 1 foot as it can be really hard to kill those off as well and takes ALOT of herbicide to do the job completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM

771 posts, read 1,454,605 times
I didn't really mean this thread to become a Roundup debate, I was just wondering about the pine trees.

I agree that I shouldn't have used Roundup. My yard is big, and this house was a foreclosure, and you can tell, because the yard is in bad shape. The lawn used to look like a hay field, there are dead tress all over the property, and like I said, there is a jungle of vines/weeds on the back. And to make things worse, the property that is behind mine is an abandoned farm (and there is no fence dividing them). This is where all the weed is coming from, and its now also beginning to take over my yard. Probably about 1/3rd of their property is covered in weed! Actually, their yard makes my yard look like Disney World. Anyway, this is the first time I have a yard, so I can probably add this Roundup episode to my list of newbie mistakes.

I actually did cut most of the weed myself, but after a few days of fighting against weed I decided to look for advise at Lowes, and they recommended Roundup for long term control.

Anyway, I guess I've learned a couple of lessons from this:

1) Avoid using Roundup near trees/shrubs/plants I care about. In fact, avoid Roundup if possible.
2) When you need advise on yard maintenance, go to CD, and avoid Lowes.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I didn't really mean this thread to become a Roundup debate, I was just wondering about the pine trees.

I agree that I shouldn't have used Roundup. My yard is big, and this house was a foreclosure, and you can tell, because the yard is in bad shape. The lawn used to look like a hay field, there are dead tress all over the property, and like I said, there is a jungle of vines/weeds on the back. And to make things worse, the property that is behind mine is an abandoned farm (and there is no fence dividing them). This is where all the weed is coming from, and its now also beginning to take over my yard. Probably about 1/3rd of their property is covered in weed! Actually, their yard makes my yard look like Disney World. Anyway, this is the first time I have a yard, so I can probably add this Roundup episode to my list of newbie mistakes.

I actually did cut most of the weed myself, but after a few days of fighting against weed I decided to look for advise at Lowes, and they recommended Roundup for long term control.

Anyway, I guess I've learned a couple of lessons from this:

1) Avoid using Roundup near trees/shrubs/plants I care about. In fact, avoid Roundup if possible.
2) When you need advise on yard maintenance, go to CD, and avoid Lowes.
We alll learn from each other, and I wouldn't worry about using roundup some. No matter what some say, there are times when we have no choice. Good luck with your grass, hope you have a beautiful green lawn all summer.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,970,977 times
Round-up is not evil. It is one of the safest pesticide/herbicides ever used.

Basically, the active ingredient can get into most plant tissue that it touches except brown bark which is thicker/tougher and has non-living bark where the round-up would have its contact. So, don't spray any round-up on any green tissues unless you want them to be killed. This includes spray that is blown about in the wind--so be careful to direct every bit of the spray onto your target and not let it drift onto innocent bystander plants that you want to keep. If you do that, you will achieve your purpose. And if there are weeds overtop of good plants, you will need to hand pull the weeds.
Don't forget that round-up is slow acting and it will usually take a week to see results. Also, it is harder to kill mature weeds than young ones, so you may need to come back a second time. Your pine tree may survive because of a dilution effect, but like someone said, it is better to cut back the branch a little if much got on it, since round-up translocates (moves) within the plant.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,889,679 times
I read that a vinegar and salt solution is a good weed killer.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 AM

771 posts, read 1,454,605 times
Well, its been 10 days since the Roundup was applied and the tree seems to be doing fine. I know Roundup is a slow killer, and that it kills from the inside, but at least I've seen no negative effects so far.

As far as the weeds...the smaller ones are definitely dying, the more mature ones seem to be fine. Even if they continue to be fine, I've decided not to use Roundup again. I'll get rid of them myself, even if it takes the entire Summer.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Well, its been 10 days since the Roundup was applied and the tree seems to be doing fine. I know Roundup is a slow killer, and that it kills from the inside, but at least I've seen no negative effects so far.

As far as the weeds...the smaller ones are definitely dying, the more mature ones seem to be fine. Even if they continue to be fine, I've decided not to use Roundup again. I'll get rid of them myself, even if it takes the entire Summer.
I think your tree with be just fine, but I am surprised your weeks haven't totally died out yet? Did you have rain right after you sprayed?

Nita

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I read that a vinegar and salt solution is a good weed killer.
That is interesting, but I wonder what the measurements would be. I know amonia works also, but that is pretty damaging to the lungs if used in large amounts.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,555,520 times
Hesky got a pic? you might be able to get some better advice with a visual.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,593,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The best way to deal with weeds that are growing near trees or other plants you care about, is to pull them out by hand or to cut/mow them.
Even if you use Roundup and the weeds die, you still have to cut or remove them. The yard isn't going to look any better with a dead "jungle" so you might as well just pull them or mow them in the first place.

Without knowing where these weeds are growing or what kind, all I can say that I believe the best way to deal with weeds is to prevent them from getting there in the first place. You can do this from creating a shady environment, correcting drainage problems, using pre-emergent herbicides, using liberal amounts of mulch (if planting beds), improving the health and density of your lawn (if this is a lawn).
All of the above. It works but it is work. No magic bullets in gardening, IMO. I have been crawling around my yard for close to 50 years and all of the above is the only way to go about it.

I sprayed some weeds around my citrus trees when they were relatively small and I know there was some drift. I called around and I was told that it was approved for around citrus (not on) and it wouldn't hurt. It didn't. But I have had some shrubs that reacted not well to getting a little RU on them

Good luck and stay calm. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden