Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 21,801 times

Advertisements

I have a very large flower garden mostly wild daylilies, bee balm, hybrid daylilies and garden phlox. I have in the last few years developed a lot of a type of vine that will creep upward and wrap itself around anything that is vertical. I have tried to pull them out but cannot get the root system, and they are to numerous and increase every year. can I use a product that will help me get rid of this infestation of vines? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Round Up will take care of it.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
By chance does your invading vine look like this?

Field bindweed:
http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=4338

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Bindweed aaarrrgh!!!
If you spray a little roundup carefully at the roots, you'll kill it. You'll also kill anything else the roundup gets on so be careful. Try pulling the weeds after a good rain for a better chance to get the roots up. Do NOT drop stems on the ground, they will reroot. Keep at it. I had problems at my old house and did frequent bindweed patrols. I finally pretty much got rid of it but only because I was almost obsessed. I got so I could notice one leaf of bindweed 5 feet away out of the corner of my eye! I don't even like well-behaved vines anymore, the bindweed turned me off so much.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Roundup should NOT be sprayed in the midst of a flower garden, no matter how carefully.

One can use an applicator like a Q-tip or somesuch, to apply onto the leaves of the offending plant.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I tried to get rid of it for a long time and was unsuccessful. I then tried a new idea and wiped it out completely. I let each vine grow a couple of feet long. I wrapped them up into a tight ball and then stuffed them into a container of roundup and left them there for a day or two.Those leaves sucked that roundup way down into the deepest roots and killed them DEAD. Never to return. It cost me about $50 in roundup and that was 20 years ago so it could be a couple hundred by now.

Last edited by lucknow; 03-30-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Mix up round up, put it in a wide mouth jar, pull loose the end of the vine and dip in the mix. Repeat for every vine end until you can't find them any more. They will be dead and not come back.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
When we first moved to where we live now; we had very large old grapevines. They were choking some of our larger trees. I would cut the vines with my chainsaw and chain the cut end to the bumper of my truck. It worked pretty good at pulling the vines out of my trees. However; I had one super vine - I got a run shot and the vine (attached to a very large oak tree) picked the back end of the pickup off the ground, stopped me dead, and pulled me backwards.

That was thirty five years ago. It was long before people ever heard of bungee jumping. Perhaps I had invented the sport of run shot, pickup, bungee jumping and did not know it? I can picture fellow rednecks latching on to the sport!

Perhaps the OP should get out the logging chains and their pickup?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Mix up round up, put it in a wide mouth jar, pull loose the end of the vine and dip in the mix. Repeat for every vine end until you can't find them any more. They will be dead and not come back.
I don't use roundup and I believe clean waterways are more important than a weed-free yard...but that's a great idea, I think. It sounds like a good way to limit roundup exposure to other parts of the yard.

Spraying usually seems to kill the nearby plants, and I don't know whose dumb idea it was to make herbicides spray-able. I wonder if it would work equally well to use something like a paintbrush?

In any case, I would:
1. Buy the smallest amount of roundup possible.
2. Use gloves and other protective gear.

I pull up hedge bindweed by hand. It seems to have thick roots that overwinter in the soil, but I think if you pull it dilligently out of the beds, the roots eventually get starved of nutrients and won't regrow.

Best of luck.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 21,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I tried to get rid of it for a long time and was unsuccessful. I then tried a new idea and wiped it out completely. I let each vine grow a couple of feet long. I wrapped them up into a tight ball and then stuffed them into a container of roundup and left them there for a day or two.Those leaves sucked that roundup way down into the deepest roots and killed them DEAD. Never to return. It cost me about $50 in roundup and that was 20 years ago so it could be a couple hundred by now.
Wow, thats exactly what I did as an experiment. I took a empty plastic water bottle mixed in some weed and vine killer, added some red food coloring so I could see a wet line stuffed the vine in the bottle and 4 days later it looks like a prune. the drawback is their must be hundreds of said vines sprouting up and to reach them I would have to walk over all the new flower growth. I will post a photo of the vine soon. BTY the vine does not produce any flowers. a note... we had a flood 2 years ago and the creek over spilled its bank and I believe the flood carried the seeds of this vine infestation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden