Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM

917 posts, read 1,998,837 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I'm new to gardening. I heard that I can grow spinach on my windowsill and I would like to grow kale also. I know spinach takes around 50 days to harvest.

My mother has grown aloe plants on our windowsill before. I've been trying to research this and I heard that I need container with holes at the bottom. I also heard only to water if the soil feels dry because too much watering can cause fungus.

Besides soil, watering, and sunshine of course what else do I need? Do I need to add fertilizer as well?

I also have no idea how many seeds I should buy. Does anyone have any tips for me? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
Glad to hear of your interest in gardening! It is a wonderful pasttime...picking fresh veggies is just the best.

Aloe plants grow easily in a windowsill. But, veggies, well they are more demanding...
do you mean just a regular sill that gets sun?
Kale is much too large a plant to consider growing on a windowsill.

Almost all veggies need anywhere from 6-10 hrs of SUNLIGHT per day to produce well...plus you cannot expect plants that produce large veggies to survive in a tiny pot...

So if you have a sunny porch, patio or balcony those would be best...since I moved to a townhome, I am currently growing in containers:

tomatos, cukes, eggplants, small peppers, strawberries, numerous herbs; also spinach/lettuce I grow in hanging shoe bags...the ones with pockets...saves a lot of space. Also there are a lot of dwarf varieties that are good for pots...I am trying to grow lemons, limes and tangerines in pots.

Windowsill growing possibly lettuce, herbs...they are easy...just depends on your area, sunlight etc. You could supplement light by using plant lights indoors too.

Think along these lines: plants need everything humans need to survive! H2O, feeding, watering, right temps, proper space and drainage () etc.

If you really want to grow veggies, there is a way...just googling photos of container gardens etc will give you some ideas...

Sorry for the long post...I just love growing veggies!

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Hi guys. I'm new to gardening. I heard that I can grow spinach on my windowsill and I would like to grow kale also. I know spinach takes around 50 days to harvest.

My mother has grown aloe plants on our windowsill before. I've been trying to research this and I heard that I need container with holes at the bottom. I also heard only to water if the soil feels dry because too much watering can cause fungus.

Besides soil, watering, and sunshine of course what else do I need? Do I need to add fertilizer as well?

I also have no idea how many seeds I should buy. Does anyone have any tips for me? TIA.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM

917 posts, read 1,998,837 times
^Thanks for responding. Yes I meant a window sill that gets lots of sun. I have thought about growing strawberries and lettuce also. But I really wanted to grow spinach because I eat it a lot.

I actually have a yard and an outdoor window ledge but I'm a little worried about stray cats and birds eating the plants. I know for a fact the cats like to "do their business" in my yard so I wanted to do it indoors.

So do I need to buy feritlizer or just the soil? Sorry for the dumb questions. And where do you buy the seeds from?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
I think you might want to start with herbs, even spinach is tricky in the window with or without sunlight. If you have some sunny place to put some containers you might want to try cukes, peppers or tomatoes.

When you once have some success, it will be in your blood forever.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Nita

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
Make it fun and easy! NO dumb questions!

Yes you will need fertilizer...visit a lawn and garden store, ask for help from staff for what you are growing...most of those stores also carry seeds...almost any variety of veggie you can imagine...some good brands: Burpee, NPK, Ferrey-Morris...there are also "designer brands" ie Martha Stewart! (No need to go with that..)

SOIL: do not use soil from outdoors. Since you are starting out, BUY potting soil (not topsoil)....some come with fertilizer in it already, some come with moisture-saving ingredients...

Spinach likes temps a bit cooler that other veggies, unless you get Malabar, that likes it hot. I love spinach too...but again, I think you'd do best with container grown veggies...birds do not bother most veggies and cats would not be getting into the pot...

Anyway, read up on your particular growing area...growth zones, to know when to plant etc. I am in zone 8...so we are already harvesting some veggies even in April.

Have a great time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
^Thanks for responding. Yes I meant a window sill that gets lots of sun. I have thought about growing strawberries and lettuce also. But I really wanted to grow spinach because I eat it a lot.

I actually have a yard and an outdoor window ledge but I'm a little worried about stray cats and birds eating the plants. I know for a fact the cats like to "do their business" in my yard so I wanted to do it indoors.

So do I need to buy feritlizer or just the soil? Sorry for the dumb questions. And where do you buy the seeds from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden