Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM

948 posts, read 3,354,921 times

Advertisements

I live in northern Virginia and the weather is typically pretty mild to hot. I'm trying to find a tree for my backyard. Currently there are no tree's as the yard is a small rectangle (roughly 17ft x 60ft) . The tree would be a focal point for the middle of the yard, but I would also really, really like it to provide some year round privacy from my neighbor behind me. Appreciate all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,388,633 times
I'm in MD, so we probably have similar climates/zones. I would recommend a Satyr Hill holly (ilex opaca). These are native to our area, and the SH has a mature width of about 20 ft. You can "limb up" by cutting off lower branches to keep the width smaller.

It is evergreen, and will provide the privacy you like. I got a couple of these, and I must say the one in the mostly shady area is happier. So, check to see if you get a lot of direct sunlight in the afternoon. If so, perhaps you'd like to try a planting of arborvitae or junipers.

"Thuja green giant" grows quickly, but may be a little large for the yard. If the yard's fronting the road, and salt's an issue, I would plant a staggered row of arborvitae fronted by something salt-tolerant such as a mix of shrubby roses or dwarf forsythia to block the spray.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,910,955 times
I would tend to go with kinkytoe's suggestion of a row of arborvitae or other evergreen along the back for privacy. Has the OP considered a privit row of Southern Magnolias?

I would choose a shade or fruit tree for the center of the yard.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-24-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,909,289 times
Skatergirl,
Is the yard really only 17 feet long? Away from your house?
Then the 60 feet wide?
With such a small space away from the house, I think you would
do better with a pretty evergreen vine.
Do you have a fence now?
Could you put a cheap wire fence up or mabey pretty trellis?
Any tree you plant in the middle of your yard is going to get bigger
than you want, it will intrude on your home. So will roots.
Go to a local plant nursery or ask on the Vines forum for a
suggestion that will be evergreen and flowers in summer. You will have
privacy, space, and the flowers might smell good too. The best of all worlds.
Gardenweb.com then choose Vines forum.
Be sure to include your planting zone and sun exposure when you post.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM

948 posts, read 3,354,921 times
Default More details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Skatergirl,
Is the yard really only 17 feet long? Away from your house?
Then the 60 feet wide?
With such a small space away from the house, I think you would
do better with a pretty evergreen vine.
Do you have a fence now?
Could you put a cheap wire fence up or mabey pretty trellis?
Any tree you plant in the middle of your yard is going to get bigger
than you want, it will intrude on your home. So will roots.
Go to a local plant nursery or ask on the Vines forum for a
suggestion that will be evergreen and flowers in summer. You will have
privacy, space, and the flowers might smell good too. The best of all worlds.
Gardenweb.com then choose Vines forum.
Be sure to include your planting zone and sun exposure when you post.
The width of our yard is 60ft, so the tree would roughly sit at 30ft, the center of the yard. Btw, our yard is fenced (wood) but as we all have tall houses, privacy is still an issue. I love the crape myrtle, but they loose all greenery during the winter. The trellis is an interesting idea, I'll look around for some vines. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,673,587 times
a picture would help.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM

136 posts, read 842,841 times
Perhaps this Tree Finder Wizard will be useful to you http://www.arborday.org/shopping/tre...zard/intro.cfm

Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 AM

156 posts, read 369,758 times
I bought a curly willow and loved it so much bought 2 more .The shape and the curly branches give it an artistic look .I have lots of fruit trees also .The purple plum is a nice tree also and so is a purple smoke tree I have 6 of those and the darker leaves really look pretty but if you have allergies ,not so good .Thee flowers explode into this pretty smoky purple.I live in the south side of VA 15 minutes from the NC border

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 28,685 times
I love Smoke Bush. They are easy to train if you want them to grow a certain direction. The leaves are shaped in patterns of 5 and the colors are beautiful.

Walking Filberts are unique and fun.

Golden Chain Trees have beautiful colors as they mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden