U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,560,764 times

Advertisements

I bought a flat of fancy little fuchsias today at Home Depot () for 50¢ apiece. Whoo hoo.

They are the tropical variety and not the hardy shrubby types. But fuchsias love Seattle. I am putting them in large commercial pots in a sheltered outdoor setting of a residential apartment building.

I know they thrive here, I know they are not technically winter hardy, but I have seen them survive Seattle winters. Will they make it through the winter left in their pots? (It does snow here sometimes) Or must I dig them in the fall to winter them over?

I'm kind of hoping to leave them for the winter. Yes or no, west coasties?

They look like this:

Dark Eyes Fuchsias

De
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,707,289 times
Sorry, not a West Coastie.... but we do have fuchsias growing here in pots and planters as well. Our winters, with the exception of the last one, get cold enough to kill most annuals and tropicals so the only way to keep them is using a green house.

You probably will have more answers to your questions from local groups like the Northwest Fuchsia Society which seems quite active. They have a page on winter hardy Fuchsias that can be overwintered in your area and how to care for them: Northwest Fuchsia Society Hardy Fuchsia List

You could probably get some 'in person' help if you can make one of their plant sales coming up (and possibly have a few more to tale care of ). These kind of plant sales are great if you are new to an area or a plant type and want to learn about how things work. Important Dates of the Northwest Fuchsia Society

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,081,961 times
Mmmmm... I absolutely love them.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM

899 posts, read 2,619,687 times
Hi
I'm down the road in Salem and they will do fine ..I cut mine back about half and leave them alone.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,472,339 times
I've seen some die and I've seen some make it here in California's Central Valley. I would put them where a direct frost won't get to them during winter. Under the overhang of a porch etc... Or just cover them.

On the coast here in NorCal they usually do fantastic because of the moderated weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden