U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM

48 posts, read 94,610 times

Advertisements

If you can get a bit under the fence - I would lay newspaper/cardboard with wood mulch on top extending about 6-12 inches into the yard, depending on how good it looked.

DH is anti-weed wacker due to the effort, so I've done this in several areas in which a weed wacker would be needed to keep it looking good. He can then just mow over the wood chips.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM

177 posts, read 280,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I just had a new wood privacy fence installed, replacing the old one. My old fence had quite a bit of damage from using a weed eater.

The installer recommended not using a weed eater, to avoid damaging the new fence. He said there was a product that would kill weeds for the entire season that could be sprayed.

I have always avoided weed killer because of my dogs and the wildlife. But I don't want to tear up my new fence either, which I just invested $5000 in.

My yard is nearly half an acre, too big to pull weeds.

A few years ago I tried laying asphalt shingles undetermined the fence but the neighbors complained.

Does anyone with pets use weed killer? Is there such a thing as a safe weed killer?

You didn't mention if the posts are round or square, wood, plastic, or metal.

Here is an idea go the the local HD, Manards, Lowes, get some aluminium flashing material and a pair of tin snips. The flashing comes in White, Brown, or silver. 12" widths and 25', 50' and 100' coils cut the coil into 6" wide and enough to wrap around the posts it is soft enough to go around square posts it should protect the post from string damage. No weed killer needed no extra work. If you can spend $5K for a fence an extra $100 to protect it will be money well invested. You may even be able to pay the installers to come back and do the work.

BTW it probably not the string trimmer that did the damage but rot, was the post set in concrete? That happens with age if the concrete is not domed above the ground surface so the rain drains away from the post. Deep mulches or clippings against the wood post will hold moisture causing it to be softer than it should be.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,859,336 times
My decades old and tested solution (The Poor Mans Roundup - got it from a Farmer's Almanac many moons ago) - use rock salt - it kills anything and your critters will not be harmed (several of my computer keys got coffee spilt on them and don t work so please excuse the lack of proper punctuation)

Been using it for decades - just put a 1-2" inch wide line under the fence and around the posts and you are good to go Only need to apply it once a year and its really inexpensive

Do the application with weather calling for no rain for a day or two Its also great for killing poison ivy instead of the expensive Roundup PI speciality stuff Be advised - it kills everything so be careful if your fence line is close to veggies or ornamental shrubs

Old 07-04-2014, 05:22 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,367,331 times
I have dogs and I refuse to use toxic chemicals. They are bad for us, and the insects and animals that come in contact and/or eat the weeds and grass.

I have used salt for years and it works well . Simply buy large bags of road salt and pour it along your fence lines. It will keep the weeds burned out for some time.

You can also use a combo of salt, strong vinegar and a small amount of liquid dish soap if you feel like mixing and spraying.

People who like to use toxic chemicals will always argue and say you are permanently damaging the soil so nothing will ever grow in it if you use salt. I have found this to be untrue. After using salt for years on my gravel drive, grass and weeds would still try to grow up through the gravel each spring.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:19 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,859,336 times
/\ Had a chuckle on your comments about folks dissing salt as permanently damaging the soil as opposed to using chemical products I just can't get my limited brain to comprehend that one at all

Rock salt works well and won't hurt your critters or wildlife It is especially useful (in my experience) to kill poison ivy under pine trees without hurting the trees

3 plus decades ago my property (2 acres 3/4 level and the balance fairly steep slope) was all grass Shortly after purchasing it I got tired of mowing the hill Planted about 1K pine tree seedlings The hill is now 30-40' trees

At the top of the back yard grass lawn I have a row of pine trees which is an ideal environment for poison ivy growth Initially I used various commercial chemical killer products to semi-control it but discovered the rock salt recommendation by accident

Long story short - I annually spread a layer of rock salt underneath the tree area It kills off the PI and any other junk weed growth and hasn't hurt my trees at all It works

My hill is now a managed wild life habitat area (brush shelters/etc) I have a resident mini-deer herd/uncounted squirrels/rabbits/raccoons/woodchucks and birds Rock salt is way better than RoundUp JMHO

Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 AM

15,871 posts, read 32,938,050 times
If you know someone with some Liriope you could divide it and plant it along the fence. As it gets bigger and fills in it'll smother out weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or